OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ??
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:35 pm 

why is it i keep seeing both people/ teams eliminated in tournys ,, are they just playing 1 game for there rankings?? if so is this really right to knock someone out that maybe new to the game and wants the card on offer ,then just leave the tourny anyway ??????

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: ??
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:39 pm 

It might happen that you are on sealed and you either don't have the time to play all games, or you got lousy cards and although you won that game, you know you won't win them all.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:35 pm 

but a good player should be able to play a deck that isnt that good .. and as for not having the time to play , , then why play it at all

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:45 pm 

A good player can play a deck that isn't good and win most times, but in a tourney he'll probably face other good players with better decks.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:21 pm 

Geral wrote:
A good player can play a deck that isn't good and win most times, but in a tourney he'll probably face other good players with better decks.

so are you saying that you would play someone not as good as you just to leave the tourny after ,just incase you come up against someone that may beat you :roll: . A good player would try to win with the cards he has , but it seems you only want to play and beat lower ranking people / new people to keep your ranking high as you seem to go on about them alot .
also , if you feel you can not win the tourny with the cards you got ,, just surrender in the first game and let the other person go into the next round ????

i think people that do what you seem to do ( going by you posts ) should loose any ranking points they get from the first round , as this would stop it happening .

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:25 pm 

The reason it goes like that, is because the cards don't change from game to game in sealed tourneys. You don't know the cards before the first game, and surrendering is not an option because it kills the rating.

So if you get ugly cards in the first round BUT manage to win (it's always possible), it might be strategic to quit then. It's not about facing weak players, you might well face a strong one and win, but you can also judge by who's playing, if you have any chance of winning every game. Since ELO in toruneys is particularly agressive, you don't want to go into a game with a big card disavantage you already know you have.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:33 pm 

ok so i go back to what i said '' you only like to beat people you know you can beat ,'' are you scared to play people that may beat you then ? as it is seeming to me that this is your reasons for leaving a tourny
still think its not right to just leave after the first round so you dont harm your ranking points and so stopping someone not as good as you from maybe winning a card ?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:57 pm 

Muppit, in part I play for ranking - when I lose, I lose like 14 points, or 28 in a toruney. When I win, I make 2 or 4 or something like that.

So yes, if I get lousy cards and can save myself from one of those losses, I will save myself from one of those losses.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:37 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

muppit wrote:
ok so i go back to what i said '' you only like to beat people you know you can beat ,'' are you scared to play people that may beat you then ?

Yes he is. :) He is probably only one who cares so much about rating. Other people wouldnt leave because of that. There can be situations when you have to go away and you didnt know it before tourney started.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:33 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

I quit sometimes because of bad cards....

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next