OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Heli Hero imba, ELO rating system sucks ass
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:52 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

Heli hero in sealed = win. No doubt about that (if you are capable of handling it).
I once even had AA hero and AA when the heli hero showed up - not even the slightest chance. (Except on epic maybe hawhaw)
Literally every stat of this thing is buffed! (in contrary to all other heroes)
The only existing counter is fighter hero or airlift2+AA (mercs). And when do you get that in sealed?

Reduce movement to 4 or range to 2. And increase cost!
Just a comparison:
2xenlist fighter ~ fighter hero=dmg buffed fighter
2xenlist lt < lt hero=dmg buffed lt
2xenlist AA ~ AA hero=range and hp buffed AA
2xenlist heavy ~ Heavy hero=range, hp and dmg buffed heavy
2xenlist recon<<recon hero=everything buffed recon
2xenlist arty ~ art hero=range and hp buffed art (the dmg buff is neglectable)
2xenlist inf << inf hero= dmg and hp buffed inf
2xenlist heli >> heli hero = everything buffed heli

The only reason rarely anyone uses it in constructed is that you get much more surprise factor for the same money with fighter hero.
Another solution would be to change it to ultra rare for sealed games.

And I always hated the rating system. I know it keeps good players from farming noobs and protects newbies - but for god's sake why do I have to win 3 matches and lose 1 where all players have roughly the same rating, which is only slightly below mine, to get 0!! rating gain...
This sucks. One has to keep up a 4:1 win lose ratio to increase the rating by 5 per 20 matches. This simply isn't fun. And in a tournament it's even harder since there usually are only the best players and if you count together all the rating gains/losses I bet you get a very high negative number.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Heli Hero imba, ELO rating system sucks ass
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:38 pm 

But a normal fighter can't be damaged by the heli hero. And a normal fighter can take down the heli hero. Based on these facts, why would having the heli hero be an insta win?

Also, you are the 4th highest rated overall player in the game. You are 2nd highest rated Sealed player. Shouldn't you be expected to do better that have a 3-1 ratio amogst lower ranked players to maintain your (almost the) best player in the world standing?

The ELO system is actually the perfect tool for accurately demonstrating rank.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 pm 

I like heli hero (and helis in general). But playing with the heli hero is like gambling. With 200 gold cost, most of the times (map dependant) you can't support it both against air and ground. If you make the hero + aa you could get raped by aa. If you make the hero + arti or tanks you could get raped by fighter(s). Playing with the heli hero is very dependant on the enlists/debuffs you get. Only thing is the hero is either very rewarding or loses you the game.

Also don't forget heli hero already got nerfed (-15 hp was the change as far as I know).

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:24 pm 

UncleMario wrote:
But playing with the heli hero is like gambling. With 200 gold cost, most of the times (map dependant) you can't support it both against air and ground.

debuffs

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:04 am 
Battle Dex Team

First of all, when did hmpf become Geral.

Second, I do not think Heli hero is instant win in sealed. I seen good players lose many games with heli hero in sealed. I think it is actually better in constructed then sealed. I do not think it is a top ten sealed card -- I'd have to think about that to be sure.

What do others think. How powerful is heli hero in sealed.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:20 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

I have actually lost recently when having heli hero :) ( I think it was last game I played ). It is not insta win, especailly on big maps. Its too expensive and can do nothing against fighters. So you need to take aas with it. And after that you have no money left.

and I agree with chrism, when did you became Geral? :) ( about rating )

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:33 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

Heli hero is not that good in constructed (against a good player like Justice...he will have an answer for a heli hero). In sealed it's a very powerful weapon, but as already someone mentioned it is a gamble. If the openent plays a fighter and an AA then you cant do much. IMO heli hero is not overpowered, but he is definitely strong in sealed.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:46 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

Any hero is strong in sealed, as heroes are very strong on purpose. They strength is compensated by not having possibility to use 2 at same time.

In sealed it rarely happens that you would have 2 heroes, so they are even stronger than in constructed. Maybe solution would be to remove all heroes from sealed, but I dont want that.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:00 am 

I like the system as it is, and I think all heroes are strong, maybe you just weren't tough enough to get what you wanted in that sealed match? Just like you talked about Mrs. Johanson last night and what you weren't gonna get because you weren't tough enough.
No seriously:
The heroes all have great advantages but the problem with heli hero is that IF you make a mistake, you're almost screwed because there is nothing you can do besides trying to get away and healing.
LTH is also getting owned by helis and does everything else perfectly and isn't called op.

ELO works better with bigger communities. I have seen it work very well with Guildwars for more than 4 or 5 years now I think and there have only been 2 ladder resets. Problem here are only dead accounts and guilds in top 100 which cause a problem there, but we don't have these issues here yet.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:04 am 

Ive recently lost or almost lost a few sealed games with Heli hero. I was getting to the point where I was thinking of not playing it versus a lesser player since if you get stuffed it can be an auto loss. I don't think it is OP. Though it can be awesome if you opponent doesnt have a fighter.

Im not sure why you are complaining about Elo. It is standard system. You are so high right now, that's why you have to keep winning almost all you games to stay so high. You are not supposed to forever move up with Elo. Once you get to your skill level, you should just maintain that rank until you get better -- there will probaby be 50 point swings from your true leve +- until you improve. I feel I've made some changes for better in sealed, so I think my Elo will go up.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next