OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: I just got smurfed ...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:51 pm 

I believe this is cheating. A smurf is a player whose low aparent rating will mean a huge rating loss, yet he is experienced and the true win/loss rating vs him will be distorted, meaning it's a losing game to play these players.

And to top it off, in close quarters he had incredible cards, including last line of defense, merc, aa hero, debuffs, airlift 2, evac ... and he was visibly one of the top players (playing as "TimeBomb" in this case).

It's impossible to face these players at the win/loss a high ranking implies, so either there is something done about this, or I will go smurf as well, as that's the better strategy.

Last edited by Geral on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: I just got smurfed ...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:54 pm 

what was the players name??

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:55 pm 

TimeBomb

I also think there's not much that can be done about this ...

... anyway, what this means is that right now I can't play any sealed with my regular account.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:24 am 

Geral wrote:
I believe this is cheating.

, so either there is something done about this, or I will go smurf as well, as that's the better strategy.

1 / there is nothing in the rules to say people are not allowed to make another account to play on , so why is this cheating ???????
just cause you came up against someone that can play ,, and you lost ,, you say its cheating :lol:

2 / if you want to ''smurf '' (as you call it ) do it

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:54 am 

Muppit, I think that it's not that they are literally cheating, but I can certainly understand how Geral would feel "cheated" out of points.

Simply stated, it's a highly Dishonorable thing to do. :evil:

The Code of warriors come to mind, say, the Code of the Samurai for example. This is something they would never do. This kind of attack would come from jackals and thieves. It's a question of standing up on your own two feet, and earning your own rank, vs underhandedly attempting to drag others down.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:04 am 

There is what do to, and its very simple, as I already wrote different rate classes should be add. This way a 1700- player will never face a 1900+, and a 1900 will never face a 2100+ This will save everybody from been smurfed and lose 20 points mach for a 3 points risk.

it would be like this:

1550-1800
1801-1900
1901-2001+

This would make things way better.
1.) New players won't get raped as we do sometimes.
2.) Top players won't get smurfed losing tons of points
3.) Geral won't complain anymore ( not sure!)
4.) Both players won't lose their time

This is one suggestion. For this suggestion I would add other, a "check box" "Do you also want to get matched with low rated players?" well, it's the players choice to be smurfed or to get 3 points fo3 a 20 risk.

I guess the only reason to do not do it it's the lack of players.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:06 am 

Chronos wrote:
I guess the only reason to do not do it it's the lack of players.

/Thread

This would kill the game in the current state, the player base is just not big enough to sustatin different rate classes.

Smurfing is a reality in many games and there is nothing that can be done about it here, at least until the player base is a lot bigger.

And also I must admit that I'm technically a smurf, but not to abuse the system in some way, i just learned to play the game and then wanted an account without all the losses from when i first started, so it's not like all the people do this with bad intentions.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:41 pm 

So who was your alter ego, mystery man?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:59 pm 

We already have a bucket system, the following was written by Chrism a while back in patch notes:

"Matchmaking explanation-- there are now 3 "buckets of players". Highly ranked (above 1850), Mid ranked (above 1700) and Lower ranked (below 1700). If possible, you will be matched with a player in your bucket. If there is not a player available in your bucket, you will be paired with a player above or below your bucket. You may be paired with a player above or below your bucket immediately if that player has been searching. You will never be paired with someone more than one bucket above or below.

Thus, if you are 2050 you will not play a newby, but you may play someone that is 1710. So, Witcher will not be playing total newby's, which is good since that is not fun (or should not be fun) for either player.

We will add more buckets or change the system as our player base grows."

----------------------------

For the most part, I sympathize with Geral. But we have a bucket system in place which should help deal with this. If Geral faced Timebomb, Timebomb must have won enough games to get into the middle bucket, so its not a complete smurfing.

I think that the top bucket should begin at 1800, not 1850. Only ten players on the site are rated 1850 or higher. I certainly believe at 1827, I should not be playing beginners.

The focus of this thread is on the smurfing, but Geral also touched on the map Close Quarters. Can we please just remove that map from matchmaking and have it be custom only? There is a reason its not used in tournaments. Yet for some players, like Geral, who plan on making the pro circuit events based on their rating, every matchmaking game is in essence a tournament game for them.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:57 pm 

Close Quarters is a very fun and unique map. Why throw it out, just because it requires different tactics to win? It's not unfair or imbalanced at all...

Adaptablility is the key trait in survival.

By the way, where is close quarters mentioned in this thread at all?

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next