OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: I just got smurfed ...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:34 pm 

Geral wrote:
And to top it off, in close quarters he had incredible cards, including last line of defense, merc, aa hero, debuffs, airlift 2, evac ....

Close quarters can be fun and it certainly is unique. Is there skill involved in winning close quarters? Sure. But is it the same skill set required to win on other maps? Only kind of. Units, vision, and range still function the same, but with such a small map the strategy of maneuvering troops and deciding which part of the map to push for get thrown out the window - its reduced BattleDex... I want full BattleDex. Of all the maps, the first battle matters most on this. Because the map is so small, it is very difficult to pull a come from behind victory.

I had no input in deciding that "Lagoon" would be a tournament only map or that "Close Quarters" would not be featured in tournaments. But I'm assuming the reason "Close Quarters" is not featured in tournaments is for the same reasons I am somewhat critical of it. Maybe the devs can answer this.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:05 pm 
Battle Dex Team

Correct. Some of the top players (Solid especially) were pushing for close quarters in tournaments. We did not put it in because of what Doug said. However, it is a change in regular games that can be fun.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:24 pm 

Close quarters is fun, and smurfing is simply something that cannot be avoided. It's just that (very) good players ought to refrain from doing it, as it falsifies the rating system.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:03 am 
Battle Dex Team

The cool thing about the Elo system is that any game more than 75 games away is irrelevant. So if you have a bad string, or get DC, or get smurfed, that is washed away. If we go back and change a loss to a win 100 games ago, your rating bascially will not change. This is because you went up more and loss less each game after your loss than you would have after a win.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:17 am 

dojadoug wrote:
We already have a bucket system, the following was written by Chrism a while back in patch notes:

"Matchmaking explanation-- there are now 3 "buckets of players". Highly ranked (above 1850), Mid ranked (above 1700) and Lower ranked (below 1700). If possible, you will be matched with a player in your bucket. If there is not a player available in your bucket, you will be paired with a player above or below your bucket. You may be paired with a player above or below your bucket immediately if that player has been searching. You will never be paired with someone more than one bucket above or below.

Thus, if you are 2050 you will not play a newby, but you may play someone that is 1710. So, Witcher will not be playing total newby's, which is good since that is not fun (or should not be fun) for either player.

We will add more buckets or change the system as our player base grows."

----------------------------

For the most part, I sympathize with Geral. But we have a bucket system in place which should help deal with this. If Geral faced Timebomb, Timebomb must have won enough games to get into the middle bucket, so its not a complete smurfing.

I think that the top bucket should begin at 1800, not 1850. Only ten players on the site are rated 1850 or higher. I certainly believe at 1827, I should not be playing beginners.

The focus of this thread is on the smurfing, but Geral also touched on the map Close Quarters. Can we please just remove that map from matchmaking and have it be custom only? There is a reason its not used in tournaments. Yet for some players, like Geral, who plan on making the pro circuit events based on their rating, every matchmaking game is in essence a tournament game for them.

Ok, does this apply to each category or only to the overall rating?

Because this made want to try my first constructed game just to get matched against ForeverAlone (1900+ constructed) but he was slightly under 1850 overall.

So i think it would make more sense if it applied to individual rates, given how sealed is so much more prevalent than the other categories.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2