OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Specialized Infantry
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:40 pm 

So i posted on Rothmorthau's General Boom Hero card suggestion about having Specialized Infantry units and would like to play around with that idea more. I'm gonna put this in the way that my head works, sorry if people don't like it >.<

Firstly: Different ideas for Inf Specs
-MINE-LAYER (limit: can only lay # mines before dying. If killed by being shot rather than using all his mines, either does a minor art-like thing around his dying hex or lays a mine on his dying hex)
-SCOUT (6 vision, still 3 movement and not a lot of health)
-RAMBO (useful offensive unit)
-EXPERT CAPTURER (captures Cp's in 1 turn and any resource he captures can not be recaptured by the enemy for 2 turns)
-BUFFERs (buffs all units within # hexes to the inf with (insert buff))
-EXPERT DRIVER/FLYER (inf takes over a ground mech unit (driver) or flying unit (flyer) which is immobilized and pacified for one turn (to account for the inf change). The unit gets a super buff because of the better controller)

Now with ideas thrown out there: Step 2: How/where would this mechanic best be implemented?
I personally think it would be a nice game type or mission, but I could be wrong :) It could only possibly be:
1. a singleplayer mission
2. a coop mission
3. a game type only used in private games
4. a game type only used in private games and queues
5. a game type used in private games, queues, and tournaments.

To me, it seems silly as a coop idea or only in private games, so that narrows it down to 1, 4, or 5. (unless y'all like the idea but disagree here!)

Step 3: once that's decided, what else should be part of the new game type or mission? What are some more details about these infs?
A. Do we want the board to be filled with these special infs or only a few?
The game, as far as i know, is built around not having a ton of units on the board, so if only a few special infs are on the board, that'll still be about 10% of the player's army (or about that)
B. With that decided, fine tune the numbers on each special inf and be sure you've thought of all the ones you want to implement and be sure to weed out any you don't want to implement
Group effort, not up to me
C. How does a player make a specialized infantry?
This can be done in many different ways, such as granting one every # kills, every #
actions from the players infantry
(capturing and killing), etc. My personal opinion is to have a tower on the map that is captured by infantry and for the purposes of this theory/post, I'll continue as if that were the way it will be done (if this idea is liked)
D, Is there anything else different about this game type or mission?
Not that I can think of, but another idea or something overlooked is always possible to arise

Step 4: Details of the tower
*Note: This is the last step, so it's not crucial that i answer any of these, and frankly I'm not even sure about most of them, so i'll be sure to use the phrase "I think"
A. Name
Unimportant for now
B. How many turns does it take to capture the tower?
3 or maybe 4. Up to the community and devs
C. Does the player get another inf with special abilities or is the inf that captured the tower given the abilities?
I think it'd be better if the Inf that captured the tower is fully healed and given the special abilities. Perhaps even a 1-turn armor buff to allow it to escape the tower (though i think it's better if that's part of the strategy)
D. Does the tower give one special inf upon capturing or does it every # turns?
I think it's better to have the benefits only when the tower is captured
E. Can the tower be attacked and destroyed?
No idea. What do yall think?
F. Does it cost the player any gold to capture the tower or to make a special infatry?
No idea. The player is risking enough by trying to capture it, but if the other player doesn't go for it, this could be imbalanced. What do yall think?
G. Can the tower be captured back and forth like resources and control points, or just once?
I think it's better to be able to go back and forth. Either way, this answer directly affects D.
H. Can a unit other than infantry stand on the tower's hex?
Not ground units. Of course planes and heli's can
I. Is there any other detail about the tower not yet mentioned?
Not that I can think of, but another idea or something overlooked is always possible to arise

So that's about it until we discuss it! What do yall think about it all? Like the idea but disagree with part(s) of my choices? Which ones? Hate the whole thing? Tell me why!

PS is this organization annoying or convenient? There's a lot I could have posted this way but didn't for convenience's sake

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Specialized Infantry
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:32 pm 

So what do people think? Does this just totally suck and no one wants to say it? (it's fine if it does ^^) Is it too long of a post? There are 30 views and not a single comment :/

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Specialized Infantry
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:38 pm 

I only like the EXPERT DRIVER/FLYER idea
Feels like gryphon rider in Warcraft 3 that made by mounting gryphon with archer

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]