OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Lack of intelligence sharing between units.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:54 am 

Here is the scenario. My fighter is ordered to pursue his heli, while simultaniously, opponent blinds my fighter, and I lose line of sight on the heli, momentarily...

A couple of ticks later (like the very next movement on the same turn), my recon moves into visual range of the heli. Does the fighter move to pursue now that he has visual on the heli via the recon? No, it just sits there doing nothing, motionless...

This doesn't make any sense to me. The recon's vision IS the fighter's vision. Just because the fighter lost vision for handful of ticks, doesn't mean he shouldn't still follow orders once vision is restored.

Was making me wish i had a card called, "Remote-control eject insubordinate fighter pilot and execute him on the spot, point blank, for not following orders, that way, that other units won't make the same mistake as that jerk did".

Can you say, "the new March Premium card?" Obviously it's a shoe-in.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Lack of intelligence sharing between units.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:08 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

The pursue- and priotity target systems are bugged since beta launched a year ago. Sadly noone solves this. At least prio target works 90%.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:51 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

HighVibes: fighter should pursue it in such case, no new cards are needed. Its just bugged as hmpf said.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:03 pm 

That's why your pilots don't work for you. You threaten to kill them. :shock:

Me? After I win. I treat my pilots to raw food treats, jacuzzi visits and models -- nay! -- super models. That's right, super models!

Pilots are just lining up to join my teams. You should see how many enlist fighters and heli's I get in sealed!

-c

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:25 pm 
Battle Dex Team

Pursuit mode does use vision from any friendly units. Here's what I expect happened:
If the blind card is applied on the same turn you set pursuit mode, the blind card will likely be applied before your pursuit order. When the server applies your pursuit order, it check if you have visibility of the target. If not, the pursuit order will fail and you will get the message "Fighter unable to enter pursuit mode -- target is not visible". These messages are in the chat window & are easy to miss. They will show in replays though.
Since the fighter never enters pursuit mode, it doesn't pursue when the target becomes visible mid-turn. The target will also not be visible if it is airlifted away, etc.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 am 

That's exactly what happened. It was brutal, because the loss of vision was quicker than a blink of an eye on the replay (on regular speed).

Is the rule that the blind would always take priority over pursuit order?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:46 pm 
Battle Dex Team

What do people think about the way this works. Basically pursuit gets cancelled once you lose vision. Since it is cancelled, it does not restart if you can vision.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:33 pm 

chrism wrote:
What do people think about the way this works. Basically pursuit gets cancelled once you lose vision. Since it is cancelled, it does not restart if you can vision.

Well, the game mechanic itself is not bad, the problem is that is not very intuitive because you would expect it to work in the other way.

I think a solution would be to make a tutorial mission (or at least some form of informative medium) ingame that explains this kind of details to players.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:28 pm 

think of it like this, your unit goes into a state of confusion if it cannot pursuit the desired unit, so it just stands there doing nothing

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:31 pm 

I can't trust persue, so in essence, it's worthless to me. Another example is when you persue an infantry, and he enters a troop transport, you no longer persue the unit. In my opinion, the unit should still persue the infantry, which happens to be in a transport now. Does priority targeting work this way as well with troops entering transports?

It's not intuitive, and it doesn't make sense to me. i still stand behind that the recon's vision is his vision, and he should be able react based on the new intel the recon provides.

In my original issue, not killing the buffed heli with my fighter really did cost me that game.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next