OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Enlist seems overpowered
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:27 am 

It's not one enlist that is overpowered by itself, but it's almost impossible to win a game against a decent player that fields 5-6-7 enlist versus 0-1.

The randomness in the cards should not let such a wide difference emerge. The reason is simple - the firepower and damage taking ability of such a large army of enlists makes it impossible to face it with any other units, even a light tank hero straight at such army at turn 3-4 has no chance.

This is an example:
http://www.battledexgame.com/game.php?game_id=26898

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Enlist seems overpowered
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:02 pm 

Well, you faced one of the best players who had noticeably good cards for the map, I don't see what can you do in such situation.

And this issue has been discussed a lot, we all know there is a strong perception of enlist cards being really good in almost any situation, mercs being good in more than a few situations (at least in sealed) and buffed units being hard to use effectively.

I think the balance goal of this game should be to close the gap in power as much as possible between these three core group of cards, while keeping them distinct (just because some cards are better than others doesn't mean all cards should be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

Enlists are rather strong indeed, mercs seem a little weaker (but i do not support the idea of buffing them, as they are situational and map deppendant, being very strong on some maps and not so much on others) while buffed units taking the last spot, not because all of them are weak (I've come to love Lethal Fighter on big maps) but because too many of them are and this means than in more than a few games one player will end up with many enlists (most of them should be useful) and the other with many buffed (most of which would not be so useful).

Once buffed units are raised in their usefulness (devs have said they will do this with new cards that sinergize well with buffed units) then the matches where you don't get some useful combination of enlists/mercs/buffed should be pretty rare.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:06 pm 

Sealedlol

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:11 pm 

I wasn't really saying they should be nerfed, just that the random algo should not let a guy have 6-7 and the other, 0.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:42 pm 

The percentages in these games are highly unlikely, even tho that the chances for getting these are not actually that bad, as you have a chance of what, 1/15th per card to get an enlist?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:14 pm 

enlists are, just like mercs, mostly strong at the first few turns, a simple solution would be to make enlists giving more benefit the further in game ye are.

35 gold less is huge when you build up your army, but a lot less important when you have 110/ 135 income each round.

making them like that will make mercs the preffered (cheap) opening units and enlists for the follow up wave when the mercs expire.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:55 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

Valkyre wrote:
enlists are, just like mercs, mostly strong at the first few turns, a simple solution would be to make enlists giving more benefit the further in game ye are.

35 gold less is huge when you build up your army, but a lot less important when you have 110/ 135 income each round.

making them like that will make mercs the preffered (cheap) opening units and enlists for the follow up wave when the mercs expire.

actually that is wrong. and you even have it in your post why. if you say you got an icome off 110 how long does it take to get a fighter? right 2 turns. how long with an enlist? right 1!!! hughe diffrence that is why also lategame enlist rule

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]