OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: List of Unusual Circumstances And Explanations
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:25 pm 

I thought it would be helpful for BattleDex players to have one comprehensive list of unusual circumstances and their explanations since there is no such thing in the online guide. Rather than searching the forums for the individual answers, it might be easiest to have one forum thread with all the explanations in one place, or at least links to the explanations.

Tick System/Movement Order/Firing Order
Primary Link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2455&hilit=tick

Summary: Each turn counts ticks 1-100. Units have cool-down time which is 100/(movement speed). So if a unit moves 3 spaces per turn (like a normal infantry) it will require 33.3 to cool-down. Therefore it will "attempt" to move on 34,67, an 100. Only one unit can move at a time, so if two units attempt to move on the same tick, there will be a coin-flip as to who moves first. Shot firing works in a similar manner.

Units can become "loaded" which means that their cool-down has partially or fully run off, but the turn has ended. Therefore, they will not move in their normal manner the next turn. This generally happens in one of two ways:

1) A unit attempts to move but is blocked and the unit blocking it does not move before the end of the turn. In this situation, the loaded unit is fully loaded because it will move on the first available tick (aka as soon as the hex it is moving to becomes clear).

2) A unit with fractional movement attempts to move beyond its range on a given turn. This can happen if a unit is given a speed buff or if a unit moves along a road. Suppose a heavy tank with 3 movement is given a speed buff that increases its speed to 4.5. If it tries to move 5 hexes on a given turn, it will only move 4, but the extra 0.5 will allow it begin its cool-down, so on the next turn it could then move 5 hexes. (4.5+4.5 = 9 -> 4+5 = 9).

Currently you are able to tell during your turn if any unit in view is loaded by clicking on it and then looking for an orange number next to the movement. This number denotes how many ticks it has already cooled down.
Pertinent Link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3208&p=18383&hilit=tick#p18383

Comment A: There is one hypothetical problem with units staying loaded between turns. Currently, a player during his turn could order a loaded unit to move towards a different hex than it had been the previous turn and it would stay loaded. The concept of being loaded is that it has already moved toward the border of the hex it was moving towards the previous turn, so he gains an advantage by being able to move it to a different hex.

Comment B: I have commented before that in the event of a coin-flip between two units attempting to move into an empty hex, the unit that is overall faster should automatically win the coin flip because I feel this seems more natural. This is not currently the case. So a six speed fighter plane attempting to make its 3rd move (on tick 50) into an empty hex will still have to coin flip with a four speed infantry attempting to make its 2nd move (on tick 50) into the same empty hex.

The Order You Play Cards Matters
Primary Link: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2506

Summary: Cards take effect before any ticks begin counting (i.e. before any movement or troop firing). The game will play your cards in the order you play them, but will coin-flip with any cards your opponent plays on the same turn.

Example: Suppose Player A plays 4 cards on a turn and Player B plays 2 cards, the game will coin-flip to see who gets the first card played first, play that card, and then play the first card of the loser of the flip. It will then coin-flip to see who gets their second card played first, play that card, and then play the second card of the loser of the flip. At this point both of Player B's cards have been played, so it will then play the 3rd and 4th of Player A in that order.

Comment A: Most or all cards require vision of a hex to play the card on that hex. But often an opponent's blind card will cut down your vision. Currently, if his blind plays first and removes your vision, any card of yours that required said vision to play will not play successfully and will be returned to your hand along with the gold that it cost. I am of the belief that vision necessary to play cards should be fixed at the beginning of a turn, so that any cards that reduce vision do not reduce such vision until after the card playing phase but before the movement phase.

Comment B: The airlift cards and the temporary hero cards simply state that the card can be played "adjacent to a friendly unit." However, I believe that you currently need vision to play these cards. Perhaps someone can verify this. My personal belief is that vision should not be necessary to use these cards.

Unloading Infantry

Time of Effect: I'm going to need some information from other people on when the order for infantry to unload takes effect (i.e. before the card playing phase or during the card playing phase). I'm positive that unloading infantry does not occur after the card playing phase (because the other day it unloaded before my minor artillery card played), but there is also a "bug" where a transport can unload after being airlifted and the infantry is not immobilized - yet this would require the unloading to occur after the airlift card takes effect. The only conclusion I can come to is that unloading an infantry occurs during the card playing phase, and the unload order is the equivalent to playing a card.

Loss Of Pursuit Due To Unit Change

Normally you can order a unit to pursue an enemy unit. Other players have posted that if you order a unit to pursue an enemy unit that changes to an infantry, your unit will not pursue the infantry. This can happen if the enemy unit is a transport unloads, or if an "abandon" or "eject" card are used.

Airport/Tank Factory

Cards used to buy a unit CANNOT be used next to tank factory or airport. This is likely intentional to keep these cards from being too powerful in a constructed game. (Example: You play an airport. You cannot use an "Enlist Two Helis" card and place the units next to the airport)

Double Effects On Units

You cannot use two buffs of the same kind on a unit. Therefore, if a unit already has a speed buff, you cannot use another card on it that increases its speed, even if the other card has other effects also.

However, things get a bit more complicated when dealing with two cards that affect the same attribute, except one card debuffs and the other card buffs.

- Sniper Card: This card is a bit tricky, because it gives multiple buffs but also gives a substantial debuff by reducing the movement speed. You CANNOT use a speed buff to make a sniper faster. If you use sniper on a unit, its movement speed will always be one, unless in a transport. I also do not believe you can use the Sniper card on a unit that already has speed buff.

- Death March: This card adds two movement speed but also subtracts 15 HP per turn. This card CAN be used on an opponent's infantry, and most people use this card for such, so it is easy to think of this card as a debuff. However, it cannot be used on an infantry that already has a speed buff, so having infantry with speed buffs on your team will prevent your opponent from using death march on them. Also, death march does not work on a sniper. Since a sniper cannot be given additional speed, death march will not work on it.

Priority Targets Airlifted or Evacuated

This is technically a bug but until it is fixed I will list what happens in this section. When you have your unit priority target an enemy unit, an arrow will point to that unit to indicate that it is priority targeted. Losing vision of the unit does not cause the priority to disengage, which is how it should be. However, the priority arrow will still point to the unit on any subsequent turns until the target is destroyed or the order is removed. Therefore, if a player uses airlift, evac, or simply runs away with the unit, you will be able to know exactly what hex it is on even when you have lost vision of it.

Eventually, I presume, some correction will be made to address how to indicate that a target is prioritized without giving away its location.

Other

I can't think of any more unusual circumstances off the top of my head (and I need to get back to work) but please feel free to post with any you come across and I will add them to the list. :)

Last edited by dojadoug on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: List of Unusual Circumstances And Explanations
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:25 pm 

wow thanks!! I'll sticky this and move it to general discussion so more people see it :)
EDIT: Stickied and moved

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:51 pm 

Great post, it will be really useful once v2 is out of beta for all the newcomers. You should update it as your comments get answered/bugs fixed.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:28 pm 

If theres anything we can do to make the community closer, more involved, more comfortable, etc, please let me know! Yall are very important to us, and we REALLY appreciate how passionate yall are for this game. Every post, every bug report, every time you just say hi, it makes the community just that much better :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:39 pm 

I have made several edits to this page. However, doing so does not state on the main page that a new post was made (i.e. by dojadoug on such and such date). This post is designed to draw attention to such.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]