OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: New game type
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:35 pm 

I was thinking about aspects that could be added to the game to make it different each game, not just based on the cards or map you play with, but the units themselves. One thing I thought of was to have multiple versions of each unit with different specialties. Some quick examples:

shorter ranged, stronger AA
longer ranged, weaker AA
AA that does slightly less damage to air and slightly more damage to ground
Recon with 4 movement and 3 range
Recon with 6 movement and can't fire
Tons of different specialties and playstyles for infs (and the other units)

Before a match, players could choose x units they want to use in the match, whether it be 1 of each type, 6 different infantry types and a couple tanks, etc. If a unit is a lot stronger than some, it could take up 2 unit slots. But this would allow players to have very different playstyles from match to match and also play more of a unique game based on the map, the game type, their cards, their opponent, etc.

Whether for a multiplayer game type or a separate campaign, what do yall think about this?
Disclaimer: This is in no way in development, I simply wanted to post an idea I had and see what people have to say about it.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: New game type
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:42 pm 

I wouldn't be opposed to simply adding more units with some of the variations you suggest. However, I don't like the idea of rotating units. Its quite easy to add so many dimensions that the game loses what makes it great. I think that rotating the units involved in a match would be one dimension too many.

Often when you are playing a game you really like (such as you are now Bubbles) your mind naturally finds ways to try to mesh what you like about one game into another game. But not everything is a good fit.

Bugs aside, BattleDex as designed is a really good concept. The main problem, that many online games are currently having, involve adequate population. There are now so many games to pick from on all sorts of platforms, that it can be hard to establish a solid population of users. This problem is greatly heightened in BattleDex because, as I've written before, it was never designed with a true AI.

Campaign and training missions aside, it is literally impossible to play this game without a population. And with little to do with no human opponent, its less likely for someone to stick around in client and wait. Its impossible for a newbie to hone his skills against an AI so that he is comfortable playing a veteran player.

But adding more units to the game seems like it would eventually happen in the course of the evolution of the game, and I like some of your ideas. But selecting what to use before each match seems like a bit much. You already select your cards. There is already a fun selection process involved with each game.

Just my thoughts.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]