OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: My thoughts on the map editor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:35 pm 

I was gonna PM this to ice, but decided to post instead to see what others have to say

okay so i messed around with it a little (i have to wait for some questions to be answered before i can finish the last things on my sc2 game), and here's my first thoughts:

-Change the movement keys to the arrows. Leave the letter keys for shortcuts
-remove -/+. That's silly and that's not how to zoom in-game (or if it is, I was unaware). Page Up/Page Down works fine. That's what i've always used in-game, therefore it is the easiest to use in the editor
-add undo/redo (ctrl+z / ctrl+y [same as in-game])
-allow users to hold down the mouse and drag to add tiles much quicker
-organize the tiles. PLEASE. (sorry, disorginization BUGS me..) Also, it looks like there's more tiles to the left, but the screen cuts off
-starting a new map with Lithuanian Dawn also bugs it out (had to reset my computer, just like with hitting “.”)

So here's how i'd like to see it set up: a “mode” system. You can have:
1.hex – a mode all by itself for adding or removing new hexes
2.texture – obviously, just how the hex looks. Basically what it is now when holding down [Space] but much more organized
3.elevation – raise or lower the selected hex's elevation
4.item – for trees, fences, etc. Also for resources, Cp's, and HQ's

here's a pic of the sc2 editor:
Attachment:
sc2.jpg
sc2.jpg [ 159.76 KiB | Viewed 422 times ]

first, ignore the buttons that line the top -- those are for programming and other things that dont apply to this map

Look on the left of the screen. I REALLY like how they have this. That's all just for in terran layer (mode) but for Bdex mapmaker, i'd say always have it show like this. Show a pic of the map (as if you were holding M) where it shows the minimap.
On the first line (where it says "brush" and the left-most button in green) would be a button for each mode to be in.
Under those 4+ buttons would be operations for each mode. For example:
in Elevation Mode, you would just click a hex and there would probably be an up arrow and a down arrow, with the level of height between them.
Textures would either have all the textures or (as i'd do it) a dropdown menu which each category, then show all the textures in that catagory (there just isnt enough room for all of them). Also, a scroll down bar for the bigger categories. you don't wanna have a GIANT list that's too easy to get lost in.
Hex would probly just need a "create" and "delete" button. Select a hex and click delete (or hit delete on the keyboard). Hit create (or [hotkey -- i'd say either insert (since it's right next to delete) or C]) and a hex is attatched to the mouse arrow -- click and it'll go where it is
Items would also want a dropdown menu for categories, like Textures. "Essentials" with CP's, resources, and bases, then "Trees", "bushes", etc.

What do yall think? Like, dislike, etc?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: My thoughts on the map editor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:04 pm 

here's feedback after actually making a map:

1. it's REALLY annoying to have to click-add EVERY SINGLE EXTRA HEX. Plus it's hard since you can't adjust the camera much.... Click and drag is needed, as well as (increase map size) options

2. The grid only shows for the starting hexes?

3. No idea why the "10" or what appears to be dice are on 2 of the starting hexes

4. I would love to be able to click and drag to make a window (like selecting units in StarCraft) and select all those hexes, ctrl+c, ctrl+v, a window pops up and ask if i want it to be mirrored, i say yes, and voila. Half my map made in seconds

5. Adding new hexes NEEDS to be where the mouse clicks ON THE (Z) AXIS OF A NORMAL TILE. It's REALLY REALLY annoying to have to click in the black area and constantly make hexes where i didnt mean to

6. Aaaaand, it just crashed.. time to start from scratch again -.- Add an autosave

7. Opening saved files searches for ".bp?" but the actual file is ".bdf"

8. Opening saved files shows the grid on all hexes. Fixes problem 2, but in an unnecesary way

9. Ctrl+S doesn't work (moves camera down like S does)

10. Saving (at the top) creates/selects hexes

11. I want to disallow air units from moving onto certain hexes, just like ground and infs cant go on water or trees

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:43 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Take into account the resources being put into SC2 compared to BattleDex.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1958&p=11367#p11367

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:01 pm 

solid wrote:
Take into account the resources being put into SC2 compared to BattleDex.

Good point

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]