OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Devil's Cauldron
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:25 am 

This is a 3-player map. It absolutely should never be used in a FFA game. The player that starts at the southern end of the map has a huge disadvantage. The only (truly) contestable control point is on the far side of the mountain ridge. But close enough that arty can reach if from both opponents (left and right side) with ease. The possibility of ever capturing or re-capturing the mid Control Point, as played from the southern position, is ludicrous.

Here are the main points:
1. The middle control point is 10-paces away from the left and right players, but 13 paces from the bottom player.
2. The bottom player has a huge wall-obstacle blocking artillery approach and firing, which the other 2 players do not.

Watch this replay for reference. I'm almost certain the player on bottom just gave up after seeing the map layout.

http://www.battledexgame.com/game.php?game_id=6164

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Devil's Cauldron
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:53 am 
Battle Dex Team

I agree. I've said this map has the problems you pointed out for a while, but players liked it. I will try to balance it as soon as I get a chance.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:29 am 

I love this map

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:59 pm 

If the cp was moved down 2 spaces, it wouldn't be so imbalanced

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:53 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

You could simply remove all the cps at the HQ and place the only one left in the very middle.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:57 pm 

i like it the way it is tbh. Just put CP in center of triangle and maybe add 2 more resources?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:20 pm 

It's a very cool concept for a map. I like the design. I just think it should be fair to all participants.

Another way to do it is to rotate the triangular ridges that surround the middle. Rotate it so that a "tip" of the triangle is pointed at each of the players. But the CP should still be equidistant from all players.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:29 pm 
Battle Dex Team

Its not an easy fix on the fairness issue. If the control point is equidistance, the resource is not. The resource is closer for the South position, which is why I actually like that position best. If the CP was equidistance there would be a disadvantage on the resource. I forgot this was the issue. Any suggestions.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:56 pm 

I was going to download the map editor to try and present an example... but I can't get it to run. So, I'll try to describe it the best way I can.

The map has a triangular shaped road. Move the ridges so that they follow the contour of the road (maybe inset by 1 hex), like a triangle inside a triangle. Each tip of the triangle would then point directly to one of the players. Inside each tip of the triangle; You can place a CP and Resource. Each player then has their "own" middle area to control and defend.

Furthermore, if the ridges that around each tip of the triangle are raised to +2 height, it would further add difficulty to Infantry and Recons attempting to get over the top (forcing them to go over one of the sides instead, into potentially unfriendly fire).

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]