OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: The glorious saga of 0007
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:02 pm 

Ok so maybe its not that glorious, but you cannot deny that that grabbed your attention (that or the old spice body wash I am currently wearing, you'll never know)

My name is Zach, a 19 year old redhead obsessed with hard rock and early metal (aka Motorhead, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath to name but a few) as well as any other form of music that has to do with guitars. I'm currently working on becoming an instrument repair tech, and already modify and repair guitars in my free time. I also volunteer for an online podcast that showcases folk, blues, country, bluegrass, and world music, where I set up sound equipment and generally do all the oddjobs that keep a live show going. I do everything from hauling gear, to grabbing Peter Yarrow his coffee (yes THAT Peter) when he came by recently. Long story short, I am a roady that stays at the venue and helps out every band that comes in.

I'm a noob in the truest sense of the word to this game, as I have been playing maybe a week if that. However, I've been playing turn based strategy games in one form or another for over 6 years now, so its not like this game is completely new to me. The card thing takes some getting used to but is nowhere near as confusing everyone moving at once (which I find brilliant even if it makes the game much more challenging) Everyone I have met so far has been awesome, and not only are they full of advice, but they're great fun to play with and I have yet to meet any jerks.

I have already been told about a thousand times to subscribe to the game, and I really wish I could, but at the moment I'm kind of strapped for cash. I managed to scrape together enough for the starter pack, but it'll be a while before I can subscribe to this game. However, this is the first F2P game that I've ever paid for, so that shows you how much potential I think this game has.

At the moment I'm just trying to beef up my card collection and become a valid threat in the tournarments, although I've already managed to place second twice and third once against some good players. It was probably dumb luck, but I still loved every second of it. I cant wait to get to know the whole community and I look forward to playing against you guys. If you ever see me online I'm trying to knock out all the co op missions, so dont be afraid to hit me up.

And finally, a huge shoutout to all the awesome guys that helped me out over the past week, you guys have been awesome!

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: The glorious saga of 0007
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:29 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

Nice to meet you. If you need some rares or communs just tell me.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:46 pm 

WitcherSRS wrote:
Nice to meet you. If you need some rares or communs just tell me.

as soon as I get the money for a subscription I'll let you guys know. In hindsight I probably should have bought a two month subscription instead of buying the starter pack...

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:33 pm 

Nice to meet you! What actually caught my attention was the 0007, cause I was just watching a Bond movie a few nights ago. I also love hard rock, but that doesn't extend to anything with a guitar (aka country, bluegrass, folk, etc). Those bands you mentioned are cool, but are a bit early for me - ironically since I am 10 years older than you. I grew up on Metallica, Deftones, and Korn.

Hope to see you on here!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:54 am 

I love how you used the word: "Saga". That was epic :)

Deftones are amazing and always have been. A band that is also from Sacto that they used to tour with back in the late 90's is called Will Haven. In fact, Chino made a cameo in this video of thiers, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9isCTqcfOw The lead singer carjacks Chino, LoL! Not my fav song by them but....

Speaking of which, Will Haven have a song called "Saga". It's pretty great. When I'm in the mood for some heavy, driving, throat wrenching music, to get the aggression out, WH is the answer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqqMTDbnmmA

Doug, tell me what you think...

Just missed Deftones last month, they were playing in Madrid only :(

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:22 pm 

Very reminiscent of early Deftones, for sure. The truth is that while I still listen to Deftones, I really only listen to their first two major CD's (Adrenaline and the one after it... blanking on the name). I obviously bought their third major CD when it was released, but they switched up their style on it - when a band does that they generally lose my interest in anything else new they come out with. I think it was a big mistake.

I saw Deftones at Warped Tour 98, but was very disappointed. There were too many bands and their set time wasn't long enough. I remember when they left stage I was standing there saying, "Did they really not even play 'Bored'?"

My concert highlight was probably seeing Metallica and Korn at the Cow Palace in '96. The best part was, Korn brought Chino on stage with them and he sang a couple songs with them. It was awesome.

Not nearly as hard of a band, but another Sactown band I used to listen to was "Far." Loved this song right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbTy64TGzU8

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:06 pm 

What the hell dude! I f'ing LOVE that album!! PunchDrunk will probably always be a top 10 song of all time for me, so amazing!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI4iPjnbiWc "lie de lie, lie de lie lie lie de lie la la la lie!!!" Man, that part gives me goosebumps... Got to see Far around 6 times, last time was a few years ago in San Diego at the Casbah.

I still remember the night my buddy brought over the water and solutions, it had just come out, back in '98. Fell in love with the band right away, and then hunted down all their previous albums...

Deftones first 2 albums are the best for sure. But i will give them a lot of credit for the variety of covers that they do. They cover some great stuff, things you wouldn't expect, but the stuff was highly influencial to them, lotsa stuff from the late 80's.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:53 pm 

dojadoug wrote:
Very reminiscent of early Deftones, for sure. The truth is that while I still listen to Deftones, I really only listen to their first two major CD's (Adrenaline and the one after it... blanking on the name). I obviously bought their third major CD when it was released, but they switched up their style on it - when a band does that they generally lose my interest in anything else new they come out with. I think it was a big mistake.

I saw Deftones at Warped Tour 98, but was very disappointed. There were too many bands and their set time wasn't long enough. I remember when they left stage I was standing there saying, "Did they really not even play 'Bored'?"

Heh, we have a lot in common. I still remember the first time I heard the Adrenaline album at a friend's house. The stereo was cranked up and playing Bored. And my reaction was sort of like Beavis and Butthead "Yes! This rules!". And of course I bought Around the Fur and then White Pony when they came out. Had similar feelings about the third album, but actually it grew on me over the years. I really like how raw their early stuff was though. Their concerts were the first I saw when I moved to Austin (at Austin Music Hall in 98 and at Ozzfest 99). I also have Far's Water and Solutions album and went to a Korn show in 99 (I still remember them opening with "Blind" and how everyone erupted after the initial "Are you Readyyy?". Although if I hear Korn on the radio or something these days it sounds retarded. It sounded a lot better when I was a headbanging teenager :). Deftones are doing a show here with Dillinger Escape Plan in June, so I will most likely attend for old time's sake.

What were we talking about again? Oh welcome 0007!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:00 pm 

How the heck did 0007's intro get turned into a 90's rock section? Oh yeah, he actually wrote an essay on himself during his introduction. I would love to see 0007's response to this discussion.

@ Ice - Around The Fur... yes, that's the name. I also own Water and Solutions as well. And I also think Korn sounds retarded nowadays. But that intro to "Blind" is fcking classic.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:09 pm 

After reading their epic discussion I think I might have to check those bands out.

I think I might have been misunderstood when it came to the metal bit though, I listen to TONS of metal and hard rock, all the way up to current day and several of my favorite bands are brand new, its just that my top 3 metal would have to be the three classic ones I mentioned above. Main reason for that being is just that they have so much material out that I find myself listening to them the most.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]