OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Are games becoming too easy nowadays?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:19 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I'm talking about games generally, mainly console games. It seems they are becoming far too easy and are catered more for people with short attention spans.

I used to enjoy working at a level or a certain part of a game or a boss fight and never being able to pass through it, then sleeping on it only to wake up to a new idea on how to beat it, then after a week FINALLY beating it!

Anyone else feel this way?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Are games becoming too easy nowadays?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:20 pm 

i dunno, it depends. Some games are meant to have shorter levels. But as a whole, i do agree that games should be harder. For example, Metroid for NES. You had to THINK. Example: it took me an hour and a half to realize you open red doors by shooting 5 missiles at it. That's not a puzzle aspect of the game, that's just plain making you mess around with stuff.

I also think a lot of games arent taking very long to beat either. It took me less than a week (during the school year) to beat BioShock. For 60 bucks, i wanna play something for more than a week..

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:40 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

Biowares rpgs are too easy even on hardest diffculty since kotor. But I cannot complain about diffucult in other games I played in last years. ( but that is mostly turnd base strategies, and there computer just cheats :) )

Bubbles: example with red door is just stupid. If something like that was in game i played , i would throw it out or read a walkthrough :) .

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:14 am 

I don't think all Bioware games are too easy on hardest difficulty. Mass Effect 2 for example isn't easy on the the hardest difficulty. But there are a lot of games which are to easy.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:34 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

ok second wasnt exactly easy , but first one was. And dragon age could be done with only 2 characters (from 4) on hardest

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:24 am 

fewar wrote:
And dragon age could be done with only 2 characters (from 4) on hardest

So i played through on Normal difficulty (pretty sure it was easy, normal, and hard. I played on the 2nd toughest difficulty). The entire game i did fine, until the arch demon. It took me about 6 tries on easy to finally kill that mofo. This kind of stuff makes me mad. I realize final bosses are meant to be hard, but when it's super duper easy throughout the entire game, then BAM, you can't beat it for a week..

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:48 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

there was easy, normal hard and insane. Yes I dont like that also if final boss is much stronger than rest of game. But I did him on insane on first try :) .

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:52 pm 

im jealous then :P I was an elf warrior and played through the game on hard, but that final boss was freakin tough

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:00 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

To answer your question: yes, most games are way too easy.

I played through Dragon Age on Insane and had no trouble at all, even managed the final boss with more than half of the support troops left.
I think the main reason why games seem so easy is that after years of practice you just become a lot better. Puzzles that were hard when you first saw them, are now solved in a second, because we all have seen most of them before in one way or another.
And second, programming a challenging AI is extremely difficult, even nowadays. Makes most shooters effortless, even on the hardest difficulty. (I loved to play the Medal of Honor games on very hard, where you die when you get shot once or twice). The most ridiculous thing ever is recharging health in most modern shooters -.-
At least Battledex is challenging (most of the time) :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:33 pm 

i agree with hmpf, plasyers (we) have improved a lot, not only gotten better but also older, achieving a broader knowledge in all things and therefore seeing things earlier

AI programming is enormous costconsuming, i remember to have read somewhere that programming only the AI reactions in call of duty 6 cost more than twice as much as level design.

also, i definitly enjoy a game with a good graphics and storyline much more than a very challenging one. of course i dont want to beat everything on the first trial, but i also dont want to play the same sequence 25 times, dialogues just get boring when you hear them the 3rd time.

what i really enjoy are games where you can change the difficulty during the game. when i was playing the force unleashed i got really pissed because it was very hard at the beginning, and got almost boring at the end (story clearly kicked it out on this one :))

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next