OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Should this be stickied for newer players' benefit?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: So.. what am i missing?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:42 am 

I haven't been as active lately (hoping to be back as strong as before within 2 weeks) but even before i stopped playing as much, there has been a lot of strategy that everyone uses that I just don't get. So anyone with patience.. catch me up? :)

I've heard people say a card is worth 35g. Is that just discount cards or ALL cards? How do you view a card if it's more or less than 35g? (ex. Delta is a great buff but 90g)
Any other card/deck strategies?
Any map stategies?
Any unit strategies?

Also, once we have some answers, check out the poll

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: So.. what am i missing?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:55 am 

Cards are worth AT LEAST 35g.

In economics it would be called opportunity cost. Enlist cards are economy based. Many other cards are utility based. The opportunity cost for taking a utility card is that you do not get 35g off of a unit.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:34 pm 

can you reward that? I haven't had economics yet and that just went way over my head

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:11 pm 

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Opportunity cost is the cost related to the next-best choice available to someone who has picked among several mutually exclusive choices.[1] It is a key concept in economics. It has been described as expressing "the basic relationship between scarcity and choice."[2] The notion of opportunity cost plays a crucial part in ensuring that scarce resources are used efficiently.[3] Thus, opportunity costs are not restricted to monetary or financial costs: the real cost of output forgone, lost time, pleasure or any other benefit that provides utility should also be considered opportunity costs.

So to boil that down to the simplest ideas:

1) You have a limited number of card slots (12)
2) Choosing a card that economically helps you means you have less utility, since that card doesn't do anything but give you the unit cheaper. [Example: Enlist Artillery]
3) Choosing a card that helps utility means you lose economically, because if you didn't take the utility card you could have taken an economic card. [Example: Airlift]

So the opportunity cost of taking a utility card like airlift is 35g, because you COULD HAVE taken an enlist card which would have saved you that gold.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 pm 

Rothmorthau, nice economy class!!

thanks!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:30 pm 

I dont see cards economically as roth does

i see cardspots (12) as a 3rd resource (next to gold and CP's)

taking an enlist card means you trade a card slot for 35 to 50 gold (depending on type of enlist and 1 or 2 of them).
It also means you trade off flexibility, now you will use that card with that unit type, this might be not that usefull in thee match you are playing, you can have so many discount rocks, if you opponent brings paper, they are quite useless still.

therefore, i suggest to bring only those enlist cards you will use anyway (for me infantry and recons).

same goes for buffed units and unit buffs, buffed units are not greeat in my opinion, i prefer to buff that unit in the field that needs it, instead of recruiting a prebuffed unit. that is one turn later to move (due to gold) and might be outmanouvred then anyway, better buff the unit that is in the right spot allready.

So I prefer to use the deck for utility cards instead of units, the cards that can change the game (airlifts, heals, debuffs,buffs)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:44 am 

I think you do see it exactly like I do and just see more value in having some utility in your deck. A deck with no utility is probably going to lose. But you seem to get the money/utility tradeoff which is what my post was about.

Your part about buffing units was especially good:

Quote:
same goes for buffed units and unit buffs, buffed units are not greeat in my opinion, i prefer to buff that unit in the field that needs it, instead of recruiting a prebuffed unit. that is one turn later to move (due to gold) and might be outmanouvred then anyway, better buff the unit that is in the right spot allready.

A lethal artillery is 165g.
An artillery you buy from your HQ and buff with Firepower is 125g + 50g = 175g.

Your opportunity cost for taking Firepower for the utility of using it when it is needed is 10g. (At least between these two cards)

Please don't get me wrong, I generally don't think picking ALL economic cards or ALL utility cards is the way to make a good deck. Balance between the two is generally a better strategy. I'm just trying to break these choices down so people can think about how to spend their resources most effectively.

Rothmorthau

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:36 am 

biggest difference between taking a lethal art card or a firepower card is not the 10g thou.

its the option to buff an AA or a heavy instead of an art when the situation warrants it, same applies to ballists/ ballistics boost cards, AA that can shoot for 6 hexes are a nasty suprise (even if for only 2 turns) .

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:06 am 

That is what I am calling utility. You are just describing it.

The utility of firepower over lethal art "costs" 10g.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 am 

I want to try to complicate things :)

I see the game like a difference of gold between you and your opponent and in my perception you can see cards under the economical point of view even for utility cards.
For example let's say that generally (on average) a heli hero (200g) kills one more ground unit (100g on avg) than normal heli (165g).
So the real worth of heli hero card is -200 + 165 + 100 = 65g.
(it miss that you can have only one hero at time or that heli hero stays longer on the battlefield influencing your opponent, but it's just an example).

Of course is really difficult to evaluate the exact amount of gold accurately but, with this vision, you can get an average worth for every card, matematically determining which cards are better (on average situations).

This vision is complicated and it has to be refined to be useful in games because of its complexity, but it's just a start point to see things from a different perspective.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]