OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tactical mistake
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:30 am 

i see this alot with newer players and even some of our better players so i hope this suggestion can help you.

Let us say that you have an infantry walking to a control point and you know that your not going to be spotted (even if you dont know lets say for the sake of argument that the enemy does NOT see him coming), you need this control point to possibly turn the tide of the match and it is FOUR hexes away. Many players will move the infantry 3 hexes forward and now your in vision range so the enemy has time to send an infantry of his own along with lets say a fighter and recon.

The better way of approaching this situation is to only move 1 hex and then the following turn move 3 hexes, this seems to be even more important due to a post made by one of the devs in another thread about how turns are broken down and how if an infantry comes into vision late in a turn there is a chance he will be attacked less.

(This applies to both cps and resources)

Hope this helps some of you guys!

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Tactical mistake
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:47 am 

This is VERY important! Newbs and seasoned players alike should take note.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:42 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Breath sez wrote:
The better way of approaching this situation is to only move 1 hex and then the following turn move 3 hexes, this seems to be even more important due to a post made by one of the devs in another thread

Hum... good tip.

You mean this thread, right?

Dagnor sez wrote:
If the turn is broken into 100 ticks, artillery has a cooldown of 50. It will have to fire its first shot in the first half of the turn (<= tick 50) in order to fire twice in a turn.
If an infantry moves 3 hexes to get onto a control point it will enter these hexes on ticks 33, 66, and 99. If you only have visibility to 2 of those hexes, your artillery will fire when the infantry enters the 2nd hex on tick 66 and will not have time to fire again that turn.
If the first you see of the infantry is when he moves into range entering the 2nd hex it might look like he moved there at the start of the turn but 2/3 of the turn would have elapsed before he showed up in your playback.

Capturing buildings from 3 hexes away (or more with a speed buff) so the infantry gets to the building late in the turn is an important strategy. He will likely be exposed to less fire from defenders.

Similarly, defending by covering the 2 hexes beyond the building will likely give you the 2 artillery shots.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:49 pm 

that would be the one!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:52 pm 

dude i always do this, but i thought i was being stupid! So this really does help? :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:54 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

It sure does.

Being smart is totally overrated! :P

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:57 pm 

no way man!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:58 pm 

well i did this before so i could have an extra turn of the enemy not knowing i was near the cp or resource but after i found out about how the ticks work its detrimental to being a great player imo

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:02 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Well... if I understand dagnor´s post correctly, there´s a tradeoff which seems to be:

-the farther away you start your turn, the less you get shot from defending units (good), but

-also the less your infantry can shoot to whoever is in that spot (bad)

So, if the CR/CP is occupied, and you wanna kill the unit standing on it, seems that you better start the turn as close as possible.

My 0.002 cents, anyway.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:03 pm 

ticks??

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next