Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Tactical mistake
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:16 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
ticks??

Yeah. If I understand correctly, it´s how the turn is divided.

(put it this way: you have an Arty and a Light Tank in a stand-off, shooting at each other. We know the Arty shoots twice per turn, and the L. Tank shoots five times. Question is, how many shots does the Tank shoot before the Arty gets its first?

Seems that the turn is divided into "ticks"; think of them as turn fractions. So:

at 1/5th of turn = L Tanks shoots (1st shot).

at 2/5th of turn = L Tank shoots (2nd shot)

at 1/2 turn = Arty shoots (1st shot)

at 3/5th turn = L Tank shoots (3rd shot)

at 4/5th turn = L Tank shoots (4th shot)

at 5/5th turn = 2/2 turn = end of turn = L Tank shoots (5th shot) and Arty shoots (2nd shot); coin toss decides who goes first.

Now, imagine that instead of standing still:

- the L Tank advances four squares
-and gets into the Arty´s firing range when it enters the fourth square.

In the above case, the L Tank will advance one square every 1/4th of turn, thus entering the fourth square at the 3/4 of turn. The Arty will only shoot´im once (at the end of the turn) since it cannot shoot twice in 1/4th of turn.

Or so I understand, anyway! :) )

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:18 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Kerghans wrote:

-also the less your infantry can shoot to whoever is in that spot (bad)

So, if the CR/CP is occupied, and you wanna kill the unit standing on it, seems that you better start the turn as close as possible.

My 0.002 cents, anyway.

ehhh, I have to somewhat disagree with you here Kerg. An infantry unit won't be able to do much damage to whatever mechanical unit is defending the resource. Sometimes it's better to have your infantry stand out of range of fire, until you can bring in some support to take out whatever it is that is defending the point. Think of it this way, if you had sent in your infantry within range of fire by following your reasoning, your inf would have probably died and then you would have to spend another 70 gold for another one that would take longer to reach it. It's a waste of an infantry unit and 70gold that can be put towards support instead.

Now, there are exceptions, lets say you have your infantry buffed with defense, you can get away with rushing him in there with no support. Also, lets say the one unit that IS guarding the resource is low on health and you are pretty confident that the infantry can take it out without dying you can rush the infantry in there.

Another factor would be cards, there is a card called armor piercing bullets, which buff's an inf's damage towards mechanical units times ten I believe. I've seen Solid use this and it's crazy powerful. So that would be another exception in certain situations, because remember the inf only has a firing range of what? 2 hexes.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:20 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

100% agree with you, panimer. When I was talking about a tradeoff, I meant:

panimer wrote:
Now, there are exceptions.

when, for example, the other guy is covering the resource with some dying unit, and you have your infantry at full heal (and not much more extra fire). By my (rather scarce) experience, it´s a situation that comes up often in end-game FFA, where you are running for that last CP.

If you start your turn 3 hexes away, you may not kill the enemy unit (even if you do survive); if you start 1 hex away, you get all your shots and get the CP.

Of course, that can go completely vice-versa (you start too close and get killed, even if your other units do kill the occupying force); that´s why I think it´s actually a tradeoff (gotta weight the pros and cons depending the situation) and not a surefire always-use strategy (although it does seem to be the healty rule of thumb to follow).

My extra 0,001 cent.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:27 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

i would move it 2 hexes but i guess that depends on the players

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2