A´ight crew... I´m trying to compile a list of tips/suggestions/guidelines from BDex´s Top Dogs, with the twin objectives of:
1) Helping us rookies to increase the survival rate of our units, and
2) With time permitting (keywords being “time” and “permitting”), translate and post said list on the (sadly still too quiet) Spanish forums, for the benefit of spanish-speaking players that do not speak english. I´m an optimistic “if you build it, they will come” kinda guy, whaddaya want.
Since I´m just Cute Tail-Wagging Puppy (and that on my toughest days...
), what I´m trying to do is to collect Top Dogs´ advise I´ve either received, or found in the forums.
Of course, all help, correction, addition and suggestion is warmly appreciated!
The tips/suggestions I´m aiming for:
1) Should be as short and concise as posible; while my spanish is quite fluid, translating is a pain in the neck.
2) Links to a post are welcome as a source, but since they are useless in the spanish forums (´cos they no habla englés, correcto?), if you can take the time to summarize the key points of said link, muchas gracias.
3) Should be about general strategy and tactics: we are aiming at people playing their first few games.
4) Not overly specific combo-wise: rookies don´t have that many cards (yet), but if you have a good card-unit combo with common cards (or even better, the cards rookies get on the get-go), feel free to suggest it. (Btw, don´t worry about card name and text translation, I´ll deal with that)
5) Whenever possible, indicate your source. Credit where credit is due.
Last but not least... flameproof, yes? Quite a few of the tips/suggestions from Top Dop Bravo will be the exact opposite of what Top Dog Sierra recommends (as with Optimal Opening Hand, see below). No problem! For a rookie, lack of consensus among the expert is in itself a nugget of wisdom: that´s clearly an area where (s)he can be as creative as (s)he wants, and even perhaps (who knows?) out-think the Top Dogs out of the box.LET´S CUT TO THE CHEESEGeneral strategy:Solid´s Eternal Priority List:
You win by capturing victory points. You capture victory points with units. You get units by capturing resource buildings. Therefore your goal is to capture as many resource buildings as possible.ice9´s Corollary on solids´s EPL
Sometimes you can pull off a win by going for the control points (...), but if you don't have the resources to protect them then you will eventually be wiped out.
Breathoffire2´s Haul-Ass Optimal Timeframe: (source: ingame chat)
breath: gotta cap those resources sooner, kerg
kerg: how sooner?
breath: end of first turn : )
Panimer´s Law of Variable Turn Limit (source: in-game chat)
Arbitor: ask away
ker: why hasn´t panimer won yet?
panimer: turn limit in this map is 30
panimer: not every map has the same turn limit : )
breathoffire2´s Corollary on panimer´s LaVaTuL (source: in-game chat)
breath: now, first turn.
breath: check the map
breath: check the turn limit
breath: choose or modify your deck
fewar´s Big Stick doctrine
(source: this thread)
fewar: To win FFA, be the best, but don't look like the biggest threat.On Tacticsdagnor´s Optimal Last Move Distance
Capturing buildings from 3 hexes away (or more with a speed buff) so the infantry gets to the building late in the turn is an important strategy. He will likely be exposed to less fire from defenders.dagnor´s Theorem on Line of Sight
Line of site between two hexes is determined by drawing a line between the center points of the two hexes. If this line crosses any part of a hex that is higher than both of the end hexes then LOS is broken. If this line crosses any part of a hex that contains a tree LOS is broken. The two end hexes cannot break LOS.
breathofire2´s Investment Protection Guidelines (source: in-game chat)
kerg: how many Heal Infantry?
breath: at least one
breath: though I usually use two
breath: infantry is weak and slow, you gotta protect your investment.
fewar´s Corollary on breath´s IPG (source: this thread)
Use infantry with armor (...) It will survive longer when capturing and heal will have bigger effect. If you dont have armor, use at least buffs you have (guerilla is really good and it is uncommon)
On Deck Buildingjojo´s Optimal Opening Hand
a good deck in general uses about 6 to 8 cards in the first turn. think about that a little while picking cardsHeinzel´s Deviation from jojo´s OOH
I would say you should play about 4-6 cards in the first round so you have some nasty cards up your sleeveStumblebee´s Refutal of OOH and DOOH
Not really. You can build a deck all for Mid-game. Mabye using a few mercs and cheap enlist cards on the first turn.
Rookie combosHeinzel´s First Turn Deployment (source: german board)
In constructed I start with infantry (always at least 2), a Recon hero, artillery and AA.