Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What do you think?
Freaking awesome! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Has a lot of potential, which you will use after revising 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
It's alright, not that great 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Meh 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's absolutely a waste of my time 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
This option is just for me, so i dont have to keep clicking "show results" 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: Re: Somnium (DS demo) 1st draft video
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:12 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I suggest reading: "How to Win Friends & Influence People" by Dale Carnegie

Dont be shy. The "popular kids" in my high school read this too.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1958&p=11367#p11367

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:40 pm 

1st of all, as for the "popular kids" comment, i reeeeally dont give a damn what they think. I get ridiculed every day at school and dont really care. I have a few friends and thats good enough for me

i'll check it out once i dont have a list of books to read for school (the prince is torturous). But this video wasnt to talk you into buying it like the final will be. This is to show what i've done and to ask for feedback so i can improve it. So.. give feedback :D Not the video-taking skills (tho i will try to be more confident) but on the game itself

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:45 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

acrually there are homebrews for the ds perhaps you can use those? but anyway game sounds cool and perhaps with a real live storyline with flashbacks in a dark grey environment will be very cool ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:24 pm 

jojo wrote:
acrually there are homebrews for the ds perhaps you can use those? but anyway game sounds cool and perhaps with a real live storyline with flashbacks in a dark grey environment will be very cool ;)

Nope. I checked EVERYWHERE for homebrews. I even asked a few friends who work at various companies. Maybe there'll come a public 3ds engine :)

But yeah, flashbacks are easily possible. Especially since dreams can flow from one thing to another

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:06 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

Bubbles wrote:
Nope. I checked EVERYWHERE for homebrews. I even asked a few friends who work at various companies. Maybe there'll come a public 3ds engine :)

But yeah, flashbacks are easily possible. Especially since dreams can flow from one thing to another

Uhm you can't find DS Homebrews??
There's like trillions out there...
http://www.homebrewwelt.com/ (german site)
http://gbatemp.net/f116-homebrew-news

For a DS Homebrew your piece of Software already looks pretty good.
Just add a nice gripping story line, more complex "drawing-puzzles" and try to avoid repetitiveness.
Then I'll play it :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:11 pm 

currently working on the storyline

i've decided to make it a 3DS game :) The little button changes (moving the + d-pad, and using another analog stick) helps alot for the button configs, plus it just makes more sense

Once it comes out next year, i'll see if i can get a homebrew engine

As far as the puzzles, it was kinda hard in sc2 mapmaker. And impossible to do puzzler boss fights =/

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:17 pm 

One of the things we had to do at the gamecamp where this idea was born was come up with a summary of the story and a back-of-the-box description. Here's it coppied and pasted from the word document from 3 years ago (after editing The Unwanted to The Neglected, and him to her).

"Roane (R-own) is a great artist. Her imagination knows no boundaries. Her life revolves around her drawings. Life is nice and peaceful... until now. Suddenly Roane begins to have dreams of fighting some strange, unknown creatures that she refers to as The Neglected (or The Abandoned). The same type of scene comes back to her night after night, slowly getting more and more detailed. As she slips closer and closer to these odd dreams, she seems to also be slipping farther and farther away from reality. But that's just the beginning. One night the dream gets so life-like, Roane wakes up in a frenzy, fearful for what she believes to be no reason. It's just a dream. It can't be anything more... can it? But then she notices the fresh blood dripping from her arm. How could that have happened?

As Roane, it's your job to figure things out. Who --or what --are The Neglected? Why do they only haunt YOU? What are the connections to the real world and your dreams?"

The only update is that the Unwanted, Neglected, Abandoned, whatever are her drawings/characters that she doesn't work on anymore. That's clue'd via the drawing you talk to in the demo. If you go to vimeo, i commented witht he whole chat

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:41 pm 

okay so i just talked to one of my old friends who loves workin on this with me, and he reminded me how off-track i was. Youre in a DREAM for god sake, anything is possible! Like fewar said, this is just a game, nothin special or unordinary except maybe the sketchbook

we talked a lot about the combat, storyline, and level-to-level progression, and i wanted to share one or two things he mentioned and see what yall think

1. Combat. Direct combat like this is a bad idea past the beginning. As you go through the game, you learn to control your dream state more and more. At first itll be new, so of course youll just think "hack slash" but eventually you want to get to a point where, for example..
If youre fighting a big-ass monster (like in Shadows of the Colossus or whatever it was called), instead of attacking, switch to 1st person camera and crush it between your fingers.
Suddenly you have no weapons and magic doesnt seem to work? Grab the fear meter and bash their heads in!
Stuff like that. Anything is possible, and one thing about the game is that it's a puzzle. You have to find ways to kill enemies rather than the old hack-slash method.

2. Level organization. Rather than having 1 meager level like it is now, it needs to change drastically on itself, like real dreams do. For example, one big map/level would have 5 areas: elated, depressed, petrified, charmed, and insane. Doesnt have to be 5, but the point stands. Throughout each part, the way the map works (enemies sneaking up in the dark, oddities, etc) will change, depending on the theme of the section of the map
You have to go throughout all sections of the map to complete it.

What do yall think? Also, this is the ultimate feedback i'm looking for. Think there's something lacking that would be really cool? TELL IT :)

Also, about the level organization, how many sections would you say, and what would they be? Perhaps also a Challenge section, with multiple mini-bosses and the level's final boss

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2