OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: A few questions for anyone who knows about UT Austin
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:59 pm 

1. Though TOPS is mostly for Louisiana colleges, some colleges outside of here accept it. Does UT Austin?
2. National Merit Scholars. So I don't know a whole lot about that, but I know it's supposed to look really good for you. I was just informed a few days ago that my school wants me to take the Pre-SAT a year early, so that next year (currently a sophmore) I'll know what to expect and almost surely be a National Merit Scholar (apparently it's decided by the Pre-SAT your junior year). Any idea how much this helps for UT Austin?
3. Happen to know how their band is?
4. What's Austin like as a city? Is there plenty to do? Drinkable tap-water? Do you have to drive at least 10 minutes to go anywhere like in Baton Rouge?
5. What's the acedemic requirement to get in? (ACT and/or SAT scores, GPA from high school)
6. How big is the campass? The only campass I see often is LSU, which is huuge, but I've heard UT has nearly double the students!

I'm just tryin to get more info about college stuff, since it seems to be getting closer and closer. I'm currently stuck between 3 majors (Languages [either Japanese, Latin, or something involving all of them], Game Design [Programming], and Music [Performance]). Right now I'm leaning towards the Game Design stuff, but that will probly change a million times

If I decide on the Game Design field though, I will deffinately try as hard as i can to go to UT Austin. Too many conveniences not to
Music, I will go to LSU (can probably get paid to go)
Languages, probably somewhere in Louisiana

If there are any other good colleges for any of those 3 fields, I'm deffinately open to suggestions as well :) I still got plenty of time, i just like to think ahead

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: A few questions for anyone who knows about UT Austin
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:08 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

There is this invention called the Internet. It does require a certain mental capacity to use it well though.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1958&p=11367#p11367

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:12 pm 

As a proud graduate of UT-Austin, I can help answer any questions here :).

Bubbles wrote:
1. Though TOPS is mostly for Louisiana colleges, some colleges outside of here accept it. Does UT Austin?

I don't know what TOPS is.

Quote:
2. National Merit Scholars. So I don't know a whole lot about that, but I know it's supposed to look really good for you. I was just informed a few days ago that my school wants me to take the Pre-SAT a year early, so that next year (currently a sophmore) I'll know what to expect and almost surely be a National Merit Scholar (apparently it's decided by the Pre-SAT your junior year). Any idea how much this helps for UT Austin?

You would get in for sure if you were a National Merit Scholar. I wasn't a National Merit Scholar, but got in just fine. Being a National Merit Scholar would mainly be important if you were applying to Cal Tech, MIT, or a similar school where the average SAT score is through the roof. At UT-Austin, your score would be far above most people if you were a National Merit Scholar.

Quote:
3. Happen to know how their band is?

Supposedly pretty good. If I had some real musical talent, I would start a local indie rock band like everyone else though.

Quote:
4. What's Austin like as a city? Is there plenty to do? Drinkable tap-water? Do you have to drive at least 10 minutes to go anywhere like in Baton Rouge?

Plenty to do. It is self proclaimed "live music capitol" (Austin City Limits Festival, South by Southwest, FunFunFunFest, and many live music venues and shows every night). In school you definitely don't need to drive anywhere though since you will spend most of your time near campus or downtown. You could even walk to the current Bandera Games office :). I have never had a car here even now, but most people would say you should have a car. I am a lowly bus rider.

Also, if you like to party it has been voted #1 party school by Playboy:

http://www.examiner.com/getaways-in-aus ... rty-school

Quote:
5. What's the acedemic requirement to get in? (ACT and/or SAT scores, GPA from high school)

Average SAT score is probably only around 1200 or so, but being out of state you would want to get higher. This is because the top 10% of graduates from Texas High Schools automatically get in -- and there are some bad high schools in Texas, so many spots are filled up by those.

Quote:
6. How big is the campass? The only campass I see often is LSU, which is huuge, but I've heard UT has nearly double the students!

Campus is often called the "40 Acres", so it's however big that is. I'm pretty sure it's bigger than LSU's campus, but it doesn't have a pretty lake on it.

Quote:
I'm just tryin to get more info about college stuff, since it seems to be getting closer and closer. I'm currently stuck between 3 majors (Languages [either Japanese, Latin, or something involving all of them], Game Design [Programming], and Music [Performance]). Right now I'm leaning towards the Game Design stuff, but that will probly change a million times

There is quite a bit of difference between those 3 majors. I'd do the game design if you want a job, but the music and language if you want a lot of debt and want to work at the coffee shop by our office :). One double Americano please.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:57 pm 

TOPS is a scholarship program in Louisiana. Gives shit tons of money out. If I go to LSU, i could very easily get PAYED to go if i combine TOPS and scholarships from them (which i will if i go)

But damn, Austin sounds great! I've always dreaded having to pick between my 2 big interests (music / game stuff) but it sounds like maybe i really won't have to! (though i really do hate the cowboy marching uniforms...)

I haven't taken the SAT so i can't compare my score to the 1200 (or the goal i'll make later on). Any idea what the average ACT score is?

And to solid: I can't stand colleges' sites because I've spent hours on them and never once found anything i was looking for

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:04 am 
Contributor
Contributor

ice9 wrote:
There is quite a bit of difference between those 3 majors. I'd do the game design if you want a job, but the music and language if you want a lot of debt and want to work at the coffee shop by our office :). One double Americano please.

Gold.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1958&p=11367#p11367

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]