OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: The music-suggesting thread!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:59 am 

I don't know about y'all, but I'm always up for finding another awesome band. So here's a thread to suggest bands, albums, or just songs. PLEASE NAME THE BAND AND GENRE when you link anything.

I'll start off with some metal and prog-rock:

Scenes From a Memory is a Prog-Rock / Metal, Concept album by Dream Theater, and my #1 album of all time. I HIGHLY recommend this album to anyone, but if you listen to any of it, you NEED to listen to it all the way through, in track order. It's literally one extremely long song. The album tells a story about 2 men and their past lives. One man is a hypnotherapist, and the entire album except the last song is the other man's dream. The last song of the album is an absolutely amazing finish to an amazing album

Here are 3 of the songs from my 3rd favorite band, An Endless Sporadic. They have this album and an EP with 4 songs. It's all instrumental, and all amazing Prog-Rock.

The Metal Opera is the first of 2 European Metal, Concept albums (the second called "The Metal Opera pt. 2") by the experimental group, Avantasia. The albums tell a story about ~16th century Europe, a man's wife is arrested in the witch trials and he tries to save her, when he stumbles across the magic world of Avantasia.

As for my favorite band, Avenged Sevenfold, I'd recommend any album except their first. They started out as screaming/punk, but by the third album they converted to singing/metal. Like Dream Theater, their lyrics are very well-written, and it's hard to find a word that can be taken out without affecting the meaning of the song. Here's their discography.

I also have many bands that I like but am not passionate about. Most of them are Modern Rock, mainstream stuff. If you'd like a list of a few of them let me know

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: The music-suggesting thread!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:52 pm 

wow bubbles you named 3 artists im really into! scenes from a memory is one of my fav albums, i LOVE A7X, and i love edguy ( which inevitably led me to avantasia).

I would also add Sonata Arctica, a finnish power metal band that is amazing ( except their last 2 albums, you can skip those).

and for a more indie sound i would absolutely recommend Arctic Monkeys, specifically their first album, which in my opinion a masterpiece!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:45 pm 

Awesome!! Avenged Sevenfold is by far my favorite band. And Jimmy Sullivan (The Rev[erand Tholomew Plague]) is my favorite drummer. Scenes from a Memory is my #1 album, then Waking the Fallen, then The Metal Opera (though i don't like part 2 nearly as much, sound-wise). I'll DEFINITELY look up those bands when i get back to my house. Glad to see someone else with similar tastes :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:40 pm 

So i was able to get 2 of Sonata Arctica's albums -- Reckoning Night and Unia -- on Zune Software (I have Zune Pass :) )
and I listened to them on the way to/from a band practice today (got through 8/11 songs on Reckoning Night)

They aren't super unique like Sevenfold or DT, but I can definitely hear DT influence in them. But most of all, i love how they have a typical Euro-Power Metal sound, but don't stick to the "4 singers at a time and straight sixteenths on the bass" the whoooole time like some power metal bands! :D

And also, i can tell the drummer also likes jazz/swing

I like them and will surely keep them on my Zune :) Any other good bands?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:05 pm 

Im glad you like Sonata Arctica! i dont really like Unia, their last 2 albums arent very good, I think it has to do with the fact that thats when they fired their guitarrist.

i would recommend Stratovarius.. im guessing you already know them, but they have some amazing songs.

i would also recommend helloween, specifically UNARMED - BEST OF 25TH ANNIVERSARY. Its a redone version of their greatest hits. They mix various instruments and give their old songs a whole new feel. i love it

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:27 pm 

Havent heard of Helloween or Stratovarius. Will check out both ASAP! :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:50 pm 

didn't like Helloween. I listened to a feeeew Stratovarius songs. I liked the newest album. The album from 2001 i didn't care for. So i'm guessing i'll like the last 3, maybe 4 albums

Also, can you tell me what all each band is? I'm a little confused. I know Avantasia is a project group, the 2 Metal Opera albums. But on Zune Software, it lists the albums Scarecrow and Lost in Space as Avantasia. I thought they were Edguy. And Tobias Smith is the singer for Edguy right? Who also is kinda the lead music-planner thing, whatever you wanna call it.
Either way, Lost in Space kicks ass! \m/

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:48 pm 

finally got around to listening to The Scarecrow. The title song is so beautiful.. I havent even analyzed the lyrics yet, but just the music alone was amazing

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]