OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Death penalty- justified or murder?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:03 pm 

WitcherSRS wrote:
We need to watch better after these persons and try to "help" them. And you can't kill people because of these 30% (as you might know statistics are very easy to manipulate. Winston Churchil: "the only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself".) most of these 30% are probably small-time criminals, trying to get money illegally. So are we allowed to risk to kill someone who might be better in the future? I agree that there are "crazy" people out there, but I believe it's enough to let them "rot" in prison.

I didn't mean the death penalty on small criminals. The people im talking about are rapists and murderes, capital crimes which I personally think of as the most disgusting thing every, which doesn't deserve rehabiliation.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:33 am 

schlumpfi what kinds of murder are we talkin here? Halloween (movie) freaking psychopath, or you killing a guy who's about to kill your mother in front of your eyes, or you killing a guy for raping your girl? Those are three very different motivations. Everything needs a line SOMEwhere, so i guess i'm asking where you'd draw yours

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:07 am 

Bubbles wrote:
schlumpfi what kinds of murder are we talkin here? Halloween (movie) freaking psychopath, or you killing a guy who's about to kill your mother in front of your eyes, or you killing a guy for raping your girl? Those are three very different motivations. Everything needs a line SOMEwhere, so i guess i'm asking where you'd draw yours

between defense and murder theres a straight line which will not be crossed easily in my opinion.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:30 am 

define that line for us so that a judge can not justify any bias he has and can't twist it at all. I think if you do that you'll help me reach an answer :P

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:46 pm 

Bubbles wrote:
define that line for us so that a judge can not justify any bias he has and can't twist it at all. I think if you do that you'll help me reach an answer :P

I can't recall the actual site but self-defense is judged as the following in germany, and also in my opinion:
1) Defense for your own life or the life of others which causes any injuries and/or death to a person threating you won't be judged.
2) Excessive defense over the actual meanings (you get attacked with a small scissors, pull out your gun and shoot the person in the face without warning) will be investigated and will judged as followed by investigation (murder, shock, etc)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:15 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

I love excesive defense, that such a stupid stuff. If someone comes at you with a knife, you can defend only with knife. It doesnt matter that he probably knows very well how to use it and you dont. If you shoot him, its excesive defense.

If someone draws a weapon at me, I should be allowed to use any means necessary I have to defend myself.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:20 pm 

Schlumpfi wrote:
Why would you let someone, who just ignores all the basic rules of our society, on expenses of the country and the people living there, keep in a prison with probably better conditions than he would have at home?

I think the solution is life in prison over the death penalty; can you imagine how it must be to live 23 hours a day in a small cellblock with no entertainment or significant human contact and know that this is how you will live until the the end of your life?, it must be the closest thing to a true hell and in my opinion a suitable punishment for those who commit the worst of crimes.

I believe the death penalty is just wrong because 1) not even the best juditial system in the world can even come close to a 100% effectiveness and therefore you will end up sending innocents to death, 2) i feel it cheapens (even more) human life in the eyes of the goverment and society, yes, these people are scum but as a modern society i think we should aspire to be over the whole "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" mentality that plagued most of our history, 3) so far i have never heard any convincing evidence that the death penalty has any real and significant effect on crime, i believe most brutal criminals have some sort of mental disorder that doesn't allow them to think like a normal person, or are indeed so twisted and corrupted by whatever reason that if they cared at all about the consecuences of their actions they wouldn't be criminals in the first place.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:10 pm 

The point is, prisons today are not as bad as they once were (of course I still don't want to be imprisonated).
Single-person lockdown with no human contact is definitly the right thing but this wimpy therapy bullshit (excuse me) where "life imprisonment" is removed after like 15 years just isn't enough for a murderer or rapist in my opinion.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2