OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kony 2012
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:34 pm 

I want to beg everyone here to take the time to watch this video. It's a little long, but I promise you won't consider it a waste of time after you're done watching it. This is really important stuff. Peoples' lives on the line. I know everyone here will care about this (even Solid), so I figured I'd share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5 ... r_embedded

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Kony 2012
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:23 pm 

I'm usually not like this, but you really think watching a video changes a damn thing? I picked it up on reddit yesterday and I just have to say the campaign is utter bullshit considering the fact, that his LRA wants to establish the 10 commands as law while at the same time the campaign calls him an atheist.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:37 pm 

I know youre normally like this, I'm not offended or anything ^^

Watching the video alone does nothing (and neither does simply "like"ing it on facebook like so many people will and then just forgetting about it..). But TONS of people, myself included, had not heard about this until a couple days ago, and this has been going on for like 20 years... Sure watching a video doesn't help, but it raises awareness and gives people the option to help out if they choose to. And if even only 1 in 25 people choose to, imagine how many people that is... The video's only been up for 3 days and is at 39 MILLION views. Factor out all the people that knew about it beforehand, that's still well over 35 million. Over a million people devoted to helping a cause after only 3 days of exposure. That's powerful. The video itself doesn't do anything but it provides people the decision to take action themselves

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:07 pm 

I just think a lot of people go hypocritical on this. Just ask them to point out Uganda on a map of Africa. They won't be able to do so. I personally just distance myself from stuff like this because I am honest enough to say that I won't change a damn thing about it. I go donate blood, I try to be helpful in everyday life (unless its in traffic - In a car, theres no mercy for me), I try to do my part for society by this and not by liking and/or watching a video.
There was a post on facebook (published via www.reddit.com) which was by a guy who was in Uganda and saw this by himself and he said basically: Unless you gonna spend those 10k$ for a year or a half of actually HELPING there and dedicating you life to it, your just dead weight to the cause. It's hard, but it works this way.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:53 am 

I completely agree that the majority of the people who hear about this won't do anything about it other than like a status and pretend that they do, but like I said before, if a very small fraction of a very large number actually does do something, that's still a hell of a lot of people. And not only are they going to help now or at least provide economic support (if they'll ever send me the damn email I'm gonna sign up for the "pay a few bucks a month" thing), but even the people that just pretend to care help a tad bit because if a large enough amount of a government's people demand action on a certain thing like this, they're much more inclined to do it. I'm not sure how true the video was when it said that the US Government originally shot them down because it would hurt our economy and the peoples' lives weren't important enough, but whether its true or not, they CAN'T do that now. Everyone's aware of what's going on, so it'll gain public attention, therefore public support, therefore governmental support, therefore governmental action, which will seriously help. But that's just my opinion, I'm not that smart when it comes to political stuff since I hate it all so I may be completely wrong :)

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]