OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: So, ok, just tell me... how the frag does it look like?
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:11 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

**sighs**

FFA tourney. Constructed.

HamJu, ice9, TitanDesWalls & me. Big Four Corner map, full of resources but just two CPs right in the middle.

I go, like, “screw´em resources, let´s take the CPs in the middle ASAP, get a head start, and then let´em fight each other while I earn points”.

And so my forces do: merc plane, speed boost and airborne 2, they take both CPs by turn 4.

Time to fortify the position! I airlift an AA and an Arty in place; a Recon comin´ from HQ arrives just in time to provide LOS. My guys fend off ice9´s forces from the right, then Titan´s from the left. New airlift brings Light Tanks. They put up a fierce resistance for 10 turns... man oh man, I´m 20 to zero-zero-zero!

Then ice9´s blue tide steamrolls over everything. I have no resources now to fight back, so I keep pestering him with planes while cheering for Titan to go for the middle... but no, it ain´t enough. Titan´s infantry does manage to finally take both CPs, but it´s turn 30 and it´s 21 to 20 for ice9.

Who kicked me out of yestarday´s sealed deck, by the way.

**sighs**

Ah, well... another tourney, another first round defeat.

So, anyway... how DOES second round looks like?

I mean, from the inside?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: So, ok, just tell me... how the frag does it look like?
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:13 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

((An awesome game, guys. And Ice... gonna get you, mate, I´m gonna get you. Soon enough! :D))

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:29 am 
Contributor
Contributor

haha had yourself an epic battle it seems, don't know how you could've lost that one. Did ice have more resources?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:32 am 

Kerghans wrote:
Then ice9´s blue tide steamrolls over everything. I have no resources now to fight back

seems so

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:34 pm 

Sometimes you can pull off a win by going for the control points like that, but if you don't have the resources to protect them then you will eventually be wiped out. That map has a lot of resources, and since the control points are so far away from your base, you need to have the resources to build a lot of fighters to the middle quickly.

I think that map should be a little smaller or at least have more control points and more maximum turns. It took me around 6 turns to get my infantry to the middle, so even though I had won the battle in the middle when you were up 8-0, you were able to get to 20 before I could cover the points.

Also, I think there should be more maximum turns for that map. Titan was able to kill me off, but by the time he did that I had pulled ahead, the maximum turns were reached, and the game was over.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:11 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

panimer wrote:
haha had yourself an epic battle it seems, don't know how you could've lost that one. Did ice have more resources?

Yeah, he did.

Quote:
I think that map should be a little smaller or at least have more control points and more maximum turns. It took me around 6 turns to get my infantry to the middle, so even though I had won the battle in the middle when you were up 8-0, you were able to get to 20 before I could cover the points.

I kinda like that map, big as it is. Big maps bring in that extra layer of strategy, IMHO.

Actually, me reaching to 20 was a lot better than I had expected (I assumed I would not even get to ten), and I correctly assumed that after one of you guys took the center, I wouldn´t be able to retake it (since I would be far behind resource wise)

What I didn´t expect was for you to dominate it so completely; I assumed (very wrongy this time) that you and Titan would spend several turns fighting over the middle, and that I would use what little resources I had to pester the one taking the lead.

I airlifted some tanks and artillery after I got the middle; the wrong choice seems to be that I focused on Titan instead of you. Perhaps I even shouldn´t have airlifted a single unit, so better to leave you guys at it? :)

At any rate, a great game, and quite a few morsels for thought.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:25 am 

all i know is that kerghans is coming along very nicely and should be one of the top players with some more practice ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:00 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Wheeeeeehooowww!!

It looks like this!! :D

breathoffire2 wrote:
...is coming along very nicely...

Used those tricks you told me and guess what... they work juuuuuust fine. Yeah!

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]