OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: View Range
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:32 am 

Players can hold V to see all units' movement orders. This comes in handy a lot. Just like that, however, I'd love to see a key to hold down that shows movement range and firing range (seperate keys, of course -- or same keys different colors i guess) in a circle around the unit. This may already be an option and I was just never told?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: View Range
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:35 pm 

This is in the works, though it's tricky to implement due to the way our turns are processed, and the way some of our units need other units to provide vision before they can attack. In other games like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, one player makes a move, then the other player makes a move. In Battle Dex, everyone makes their moves at the same time and then it's processed.

Ideally we want to show the units' movement and firing ranges when you click a unit, but because they might need a spotter to be able to target a hex because they lack vision, it seems like we need to show a third value (vision) and that makes everything look messy.

It's hard to explain it without having a prototype to look at. We've started working on one, but because of these different factors, we're focusing on getting Tutorial Mode out before returning to this.

We didn't consider binding those ranges to a key, though! That might work better than showing all at once when clicking a unit. Any other ideas on how we can handle this better?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: View Range
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:18 pm 

Idunno... Having vision, range (movement and fire), and movement orders all on one button? That seems like itd be WAYYY too much to view. I like having one key for JUST orders. I'd say have:

button: Orders (movement or persue target)
button: movement range in a primary color, firing range in a primary color, and hexes that they both pan over in a secondary color --- If this is what y'all like, may i suggest blue for movement sence movement orders' arrows are blue, and red for firing since.. well it's red?

Vision seems like the odd man out. I'm unsure which would be preferable. You could have a button for all units' vision, a button for SELECTED unit's vision, or show vision for a unit when it is selected. Either way, this would help me, as I have a problem seeing LOS with these types of maps.
I got used to World of Warcraft LOS.... "oh there's a wall in my way.. *step to the left* thats better"

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]