PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:56 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

15 points sounds ok.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: More Tournaments
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:42 pm 

ice9 wrote:
I think the original idea was that people could start Sit-N-Go tournaments if they wanted to play tournaments at random times. But people are not playing Sit-N-Go's, so something needs to be done here. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

ice you say not alot of people play sit and go tournys , but if you look at them i may understand why . for instance there is a sit and go 1v1 sealed min 8 people to start , , this will cost me 20 points and 3 packs to enter it , but the prizes are ( if im reading it right )
1st = 4 packs . this is only 5 points for winning the tourny due to what it costs to enter
2nd= 3 packs ,, loss of 20 points
3rd= 1 packs ,, loss of 2 pkts and 20 points ,

going by that, its not worth playing it as unless you win as you are loosing packs and/or points to play it .being new to the game i can not afford to play this tpye of tourny as the odds are stacked up against me to much

edit looking at the other 2 tournys that are there , i think this one is an error

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:38 am 
Battle Dex Team

You get to keep the packs in the sit and go tournament. So for winning you actually get 7 packs -- the 3 you opened and the prize. For losing, you get the three packs you opened (the cards from them at least).

But, Doja is right. We have added more free tournaments and will add more cheaper tournaments.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:56 am 

sorry chrism i didnt know that you keep them cards , is this just for that oneor for all ones you pay packs to enter as well as points ?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:40 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

I think it is a rule that if you pay with packs, than you will keep cards from the packs.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:57 am 

ok ty for that , i didnt know and wonder how many new people know you keep the cards from the game

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:46 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

But still it is too big entry fee to have chance of starting. Not enough people for it now

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:50 pm 

I have noticed many more tournaments over the last five days, and it is much appreciated! Today, during Christmas break, there are only two, but I have so much co-op to work on (especially with the new release coops) that its not really an issue.

A little feedback from the FFA tournament yesterday. There was a newer player in my first game. He was SO excited to play it, and he actually won the first round, knocking off myself and one other player. What fun that was for him. I'm guessing this player will be online a lot more now and continue to play. And the credit for this goes to whoever created that free FFA for him to play in. Maybe now he becomes a premium member.

---------------------

I'm glad ice brought up sit-n-go's and I'll give my quick take on them. When I used to play a lot of online poker I almost exclusively played SNG's so I am very familiar with the format and obviously much enjoyed its use for a different sort of game.

Some of the complications surrounding SNG's on this site:

1) There is a high cost associated with them, so most players on here realistically understand it could take forever to fill one up.

2) If you have signed up for one, you pretty much have to wait until it starts, because if you are playing another game or a coop and it starts, you are kinda screwed cause you gotta quit one. Most people would rather play a coop or free to play than wait for 1,2, 3+ hours for a SNG to fill.

3) Some players, like myself, are so used to seeing nobody in the SNG lobby that we don't even check it. If I was aware that there were 5 or more people waiting in an SNG, I would probably join as well. But because I am so conditioned to seeing 0 people waiting, I don't even check that lobby.

I don't really have a solution for these problems, but I'll throw some ideas off the wall. Again, cheaper entry fees. Perhaps a four-person FFA SNG. Four is much quicker to fill, and I think new players who are scared to spend points for tournaments out of fear they will get owned, may feel they stand more of a chance in FFA. E.G. Look at that new player who beat me and another player yesterday (although I was 1st in kills 8-) )

-------------------------

One other thing game management might be experiencing right now is that the new players who do stick around, sign up for memberships, and buy some points may spend most of their initial points on packs of cards and therefore not have much left for tournaments now. I spent many of my initial points on cards, and until I got my monthly membership packs and points was somewhat low.

It may be a good idea to keep running lots of free tournaments for a couple months, while newer players spend most of their points building their decks and learning the game. I think its scary for a new player to risk points on a tournament until he feels he has a good grasp of the game and a solid deck (for constructed tourneys).

This game clearly took an initial investment, and I think it would be worthwhile to continue to invest a little more, simply in the area of free tournaments, to attract a lot of players, and after you have many players on this site slowly remove the free tournaments. Don't be too concerned about giving away free cards right now, as unless you are giving away the elite cards I don't think it makes much difference. It would be worthwhile to boost the system with an influx of cards and packs (by lowering entry costs, running free tournaments, increasing prizes). Online games require a vibrant economy, and while you may give out a bit more early on to boost the economy, as soon as the population reaches a sustainable level you should begin to restrict the free cards and packs given out.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:35 pm 
Battle Dex Team

Agree with all you comments. We are putting up the extra Christmas Tournaments now. Agree with sit and gos. We will take a look at them. We added the additional tournaments because we agreed with you last post. We are listening and trying to make the best possible experience. Keep up the posts.

Thanks.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:22 pm 

Sorry that this isn't much of a suggestion, but just wanted to say great job! Noticed 15 point tourneys for the first time, hoping they work well just like you do. I really think its a good call. And with all the extra free tourneys we constantly had players in them all day while playing co-op and even some custom 3v3 (better luck next time ice :D ) in between tournaments.

A number of free tourneys ran early in the day, and then we managed to get eight players for a 25p/3pack tourney. Spent some good points today personally. And finally got my first light tank hero card in that sealed deck I got to keep (I swear I must have 5 Heli Heroes). Hoping this 25 point FFA fills cause that would really cap my day.

Also noticed a rather high population online today compared to the average over the last week. I think that's a good sign and there are many new player names that I am seeing online on a daily basis.

My only advice is to get everything fixed that you want (this game staff is great at making both fixes and additions simultaneously) then run an ad on another site like you did the first time to get that large influx of players. With a solid regular player base and everything working to the fullest you envision, more of the next influx will be sure to stay.

Happy Holidays to BattleDex Players and Staff!

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next