OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Would you enjoy playing a Typical CCG format?
Yes 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: New Game Format - Traditional CCG Style
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:20 am 

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to Battle Dex but I am really enjoying the mix of tactical strategy and collectable card game. When I first heard of Battle Dex I thought it was going to be more like what I am about to suggest, so I figured I would contribute and throw my ideas out here for people to take a look at.

Game Format: Traditional CCG Style:

There are two major differences between traditional CCGs and how Battle Dex currently uses cards:

1) Currently you are able to use your entire "deck" as what typically is considered your "hand" in CCGs.

2) CCGs typically have a "luck" element through drawing cards that have been shuffled at random. Skill in deck building helps improve this "luck".

Imagine playing Magic: The Gathering or any other CCG while being allowed to stack your starting hand and deck. While it would be fun making strategies surrounding that, it would also be taking away a key element that makes CCGs fun - random chance. (And just to be clear I understand its a mix of genres - currently the game is more tactics and less CCG and as a primarily tactics game its really fun).

And so here is my suggestion:

1) Players create decks containing 60 cards, same rules for deckbuilding as normal (3 of any card, 1 of each hero, etc.)

2) Players begin the game with a hand of 10 cards randomly drawn from their deck. Players draw a new card every turn (including turn 1). [Since the longest games are 50 turns, 60 is the deck size]

3) Players may only have 12 cards in their hand at a time. A way to discard cards without using them must be implemented.

Thats it! I think it would make for some very interesting games since the typically exhausted resources of cards would be replenished. Drawbacks of this format are that new players will have an extremely hard time building a deck, but not every format has to be accessable to everyone.

Please let me know what you all think! More CCG less tactics? Is it viable?

Thanks for reading!

Rothmorthau

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: New Game Format - Traditional CCG Style
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:47 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

Could be fun. But for this gametype you need more than 500 different cards... otherwise the decks would all look the same.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:55 am 

why start with 10 cards? A "hand" is 12 lol
And like witcher said, they'd all be too similar
Plus, this game is built on the foundation of "damnit, i shouldve taken that card!"
and do we really want geral QQing about how it was luck of the draw? ;) (just kiddin geral)

though this game uses cards, it's not a CARD GAME. With that in mind, I think this would not be a good mode of play

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:56 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

you would have to restrict it to a smaller hand maybe 7 or so.... or else u would have way to much cards which would result in almost exclusivly putting in enlists and debuffs since u cant support a big amount of more expensive cards...
@witcher ofc u would need more cards but a ccg system gives u instant suggestions for other cards e.g. card drawing searching ur deck for a special card(eg: search for debuff/ search for enlist/....) bringing back cards u already used... blablabla... endless.... ofc the devs would have to make those cards and invent a system to get them(since they arent usable in the other modes... )

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:21 pm 

@Bubbles: I think you missed my point with this game format. Currently the game is 70% tactics 30% CCG. This format flips that around. Also, I chose 10 card starting hand to make an even number for deck size, though I suppose that doesn't really matter.

@Witcher: I don't believe all the decks would look the same. Traditional deck building often uses multiples of the same cards in order to increase draw frequency. I think you'd see more than a few deck types come out of this.

@ghry: Restricting hand size definitely could balance this out if its something the devs pursue. You may be right that higer cost value cards wouldn't work as well, having more cards does mean that you'll be spending more on cards and not just basic units. Perhaps this could evolve into a higher money based game where if you discard a card you get $25 or something? That way you could discard a bunch of cards that you have for an ability to play a larger one? Just an idea. Though this probably is the largest problem with this game format.

Thanks for all your responses.

Rothmorthau

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:30 pm 

I kinda like the idea... and kinda hate it. If implemented, it will evolve the game into more of a CCG and we'll see cards like "Force opponent to discard a card" or "Draw 3 cards" or "take a card from your graveyard and shuffle it back into your deck" or "Search your deck for any Hero and place it into your hand".

While strategy will still exist; It takes away from the tactical elements of the wargame. And generally... I enjoy the tactics of the game.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:07 pm 

@Effit: I totally see where you are coming from, and I suppose I should have stated where I was coming from in my first post.

Battle Dex caters to the Strategy category of games - people who like strategy in general might like Battle Dex.

Battle Dex is primarily a Tactics Strategy game. This attracts gamers such as people who enjoy Advance Wars or even Starcraft 2.

Battle Dex is secondarily a Collectable Card Game. This element's purpose currently is to supplement the Tactics portion of the game adding a customizable element to the strategy. People who are primarily CCG players who take a look at Battle Dex may be disappointed.

I'm proposing an optional game type in an attempt to make the game more appealing to a broader audience (specifically people who play CCGs). Currently the game needs players, so I doubt anyone would have many problems with adding a game type to bring more people in. Current players (including me) DO have a problem with cards being created specifically for this optional game type.

So I guess what I am hoping gets across in my post here is that Battle Dex is fun BECAUSE its a mix of genres. You will get more subscribers and people to play with if you cater to both of those genres, even if your FOCUS is still making cards specifically for the traditional tactics subgenre part of the game.

Thanks for reading.

Rothmorthau

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]