OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: No Max In Deck Size
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:15 am 

Altho this changes the game a bit, I want to be able to utilize the cardpool more.

What I propose is you get to lock x amount of cards, lets say 3, or it could depend on your deck size, that would start out revealed, then every turn you get to reveal/draw x amount of cards. The negative being it does push the game into something more luck oriented, I think the benefits of opening up deck design for players and game/card design mechanics for the devs outweigh it.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: No Max In Deck Size
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:21 am 

i dont like it, right now its about when and how u use ur cards, in ur way it depends on whether u get the cards u need when u actually need to use them

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:43 pm 

I also think this is a bad idea. I like the current format. I'm not against an eventual expansion that would include this proposed format, but I think the base of this game should be as it is. Because Magic: The Gathering was, in my opinion, the original collectible card game, many people are accustomed to its format of drawing. I think a format like this would be fun, but I don't think it should replace the original BattleDex format.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:57 am 

I really want to see a traditional card game format, but I definitely don't want cards to cater to that format.

Battle Dex is a mix of genres, so you're going to have people who prefer one of those genres over the other. The trick is finding a balance that meets the most people's desires to bring people to the game.

@Victim: Drawing from a premade deck is actually better than sealed for strategy if you think about it. At least you know the pool of cards you'd be drawing from so you'd know what possible draws you would have.

So.... I hope they make TCG format. I think it would bring a lot of people to the game and if you do it right you won't tick off any of the people who like it as it is :-p

Rothmorthau

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:33 pm 
Battle Dex Team

40-60 deck format is something I think is a great idea for an alternate format. It is officially added to the list.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:46 pm 

roth, when you draw from a premade deck, you have no idea what is going to come out since the deck is so big but in sealed u can choose ur own deck that you can use at any time

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:38 pm 
Battle Dex Team

Different strategies, but both very strategic.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:37 am 

I remember being a tester for two games that had a hybrid miniatures/ccg system, I think the biggest difference here is that you can actually make units from your base. There are a lot of "dead turns" in this game, where you don't use your cards , either you don't have enough gold, you make unit from base or you'd rather not use up a card.

If you had 3 locked cards, and drew 2 each turn from a deck of 20 , it would be extremely consistent factoring in the dead turns and if you add things that revealed/drew cards on cards or on maps , it would be even more so.

The main thing is that it adds much more of the card pool when deck building and not only that it opens up more archetypes. It balances out the cheap debuffs in that you'd have to waste a locked slot in order to consistently have it, something like a super planes/tanks decks would be more viable. I can also see decks with mid to late games in mind being playable, decks with more of a focus on macro, more of a focus on combat. Instead of what we have now, where 8 to 10 slots are related to economy then 2- 4 cards being combat tricks. I also have a way of making buffed units actually playable in this format, but i guess I'll reveal it later lol.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]