OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: remove stupid turn limits.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:55 pm 

i just noticed i lost a game it hought i won due to turn limits.
it was stupid, since i had the game won and in the bag in jhust a few moments.
second off, it shows poor game design, the purpose of turn limits is to keep games frmo lasting forever, but the game already has a mechanism for that: control points.
the accumulation fo control points means someone will win sooner or later anyways.
making an arbitrary turn limit just screws up an already full yfunctional turn limiter: those cp points.
i'm annoyed atm, but the point remains; having an arbitrary mechanic (turn limit) that duplicates something already being well served by a sensible mechanic (control pionts) is just bad design.
if any map is running too long, that doesn't mean you ened turn limits, you jsut need to tweak the cp settings/placement for that map.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: remove stupid turn limits.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:17 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

Well I think most of people will disagree. In fact turn limit was just lowered. If there was no turn limit, game could take forever, as there are games when no one gets any cp :) . And if I have to play after 30 turns, I am losing interest in it.

Turn limit is important part of strategy. You said you would won in few moments if there was no turn limit. But your opponent probably was expecting that games ends son and was defending only that which was important to him. If there was no turn limit he would play differently.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:54 am 

please reread my post more carefully, you've missed the point.
The issue is the redundancy of the mechanics, ands dont' falsely assume that removal of an arbitrary turn limit means there's no mechanism, it is VERY VERY easy to tweak the cp mechanic to give the game a turn limit without having an arbitrary one.
like making each base sit on a control point, and tweaking the numbers.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:05 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

well its not easy, as all maps would have to be redone.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:14 am 

turn limits must stay

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:17 pm 

I agree that turn limits must stay, they do change the strategy of the game a lot, if there were no turn limits then CPs pretty much wouldn't matter, or at least not nearly as much. Just like when the turn limit was 50, the main goal in the beginning was to capture resources, then move to CPs, by lowering the turn limit to 30 it made getting early CPs way more important. Your suggestion of having each base be a CP and tweaking the numbers is the exact same as having a turn limit. I don't see any difference. I do agree that maybe the number of victory points needed to win might need some tweeking, especially on some maps.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:42 pm 

ur missing my point rendrag, or at least one of the points i've made in these threads. the entire point is that they both ALREADY ARE turn limit mechanics. you don't need TWO different turn limit mechanics in the game, you only need one. having two just makes for needless confusion and annoyance.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:53 pm 

zlefin wrote:
having two just makes for needless confusion and annoyance.

(I don't mean this in a bad way, please don't take it as if i do) You're one against like 20 people on this.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:02 pm 

not really bubbles, given that most of hte people against aren't even understanding the point i'm making, or at least not responding to it. and are responding instead to things which i expressly noted i was not talking about.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:30 pm 
Battle Dex Team

You make a good point and if everyone played properly, it would makes sense. As you point out, we could place cps in such a way that all games would normally end by turn 30.

However, if you have 2 idiots screwing around in a tournament (or 2 utter newbs), the game could go on forever in a tournament -- if no one choose to even take the point at their base. This would ruin the tournament. We thought about not have a turn limit for the reason you state (the cp mechanic is essentially a turn limit), but then we thought o of the 2 people intentionally, or even unintentionally, ruining a tournament scenario and realized turn limits were needed.

It's a good point and I think I definitely understood it. There is just a stupid reason you were overlooking, but we have to search to find.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next