OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Spectatingmode
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:55 pm 

We just had a few comments about it in general chat, so i thought about it a little bit more.
First of all, this is a longtermsuggestion, nothing that can be done quickly, but since i read, there should be an expansion this year, it might be an idea for that one.

You can look at a few games, that are similar to BD, and they all share something, that BD is missing.
No matter if you look at Poker, SC2 or Magic, only a supersmall group is playing for the money, but still a lot of ppl are connected to the game. If you look at the active BD-comm it seems, that the percentage of good competive players is much higher then elsewhere. Basically the bttomlevel is missing. It is quite telling, that i played my 5th game i played in randomsearch already against hmpf.
What keeps those not-competive players in other games, that does not in BD?
To me it is some kind of observationfeature, some way to observe those at the top, rant about them, how they could have done better, try to learn from them and just experience the excitement of the competition. Yes, BD has replays, but be honest... They are much less entertaining then following a tourney live. Just yesterday, after i dropped out of the tourneys i played, i just wished, i could somehow see the games played in the following rounds. At least for the FFA the reps were published, but as i said, i think this is not enough. Usually, if you want to create something like a ProScene (which "ProCircuit" somehow suggests) you need some fanbase, those pros can build on. If basically almost every player is himself part of those pros, it ruins the whole idea.
Some way to observe games would be an huge improvement to the current situation.

Now I'm aware, that just giving some clear mapview to specs would basically open uncontrollable possibilities for cheating. The game itself makes it complicated to implement an unexploitable observingsystem.
So if you don't want to give any player any possible knowledgeadvantage, the only possibility would be to show the common denominator of their knowledge.
So what would be shown then?
- the map
- players and their cp-score
- who controls which CP/Factory
- shared view (camoed units only, if really both players can see them)
- combatactions (since both parties see them, even when the shots are fired from outside of FoW)

Sure, this is less comfortable then a SC2-Broadcast, but still much better then nothing. And in Poker it is shown, that even livebroadcasts with hidden cards have positive feedback by the community.
Add some funstatistics like ressources gained, units (amount and their euqaling ressourcesvalue) killed and i think it would be already fun to watch, since usually the action is in both parties view, and the hidden areas keep some room for guessing and speculating, what the players might plan here.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Spectatingmode
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:19 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

I believe that those broadcast from sc2 are from games in controled environment, where you can ensure player isnt watching his opponents broadcast. I dont think something like that will happen here ( at least not soon ).

Implementing what you propose would probably take lot of resources from team and I think there are more important things to do now. Also I dont know what would be the value of such broadcast.

Adding vp, cp and resource buildings count to the tourney lobby for each game shouldnt be that hard to do. It doesnt help you much in what you want, but at least we would see some progress there :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:20 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

Well now thinking about it, you would see all attacks of units, so you would see a lot, so such replays would show enough.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:45 pm 

You had the same thinkingprocess as me. At first i thought, you wouldn't see anything, but then i noticed, if you just share, what both see, it is actually already quite a lot.
You see all the action, and you have room to try to put yourself in the players pov and imagine what happens in the dark area (the area is only dark, because one player does not see it, so you have to guess the opponents next move)

And i experienced in all 3 mentioned games (and others, like Go), that not always everyone really wants to play, but just watch some random highlevel live action. It keeps ppl connected. Actually i did not play a SC2 game since eternities, but i'm still very actively watching it. Same goes for my occasional NoGo-periods/NoPoker-periods, on which i still idle on KGS (a online Go-Server)/Pokerstars just to watch some games.
And in the end, every person more connected and active (even if only as a spectator) makes the communty bigger, and Pros(or competetive players) are just the roof, but you need some base(fans) and walls (average players) to built it on.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:01 pm 

oh another kgser lol im almost always idle there too, same name, Victim

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]