OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bribery Card
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:20 pm 

In my opinion, when you use a bribery card on an opponents merc, the expiration for the merc should reset to 5 turns.

Logically speaking, Player A paid this mercenary unit 85g for 5 turns of service. It makes sense that to buy their loyalty, Player B would have to pay more than the 85g Player A spent (i.e. the 100g). But if they were willing to work for 5 turns for Player A for 85g, then surely they should be willing to work 5 turns for Player B for 100g.

Additionally, the risk of bringing the bribery card into a game where your opponent doesn't use mercs is rather substantial. Mercs are used far more often in sealed games than constructed, which begs the question as to whether premium cards should be included in sealed games (bribery would be fun to have included in sealed).

The personal problem I have bringing the bribery card right now is that, besides the major risk of not encountering mercenary units, if I do encounter mercenary units the card might still be a waste in certain situations.

1) His merc takes a different route than I move my troops and I don't encounter it until there is only 1 or 2 turns left before it expires.

2) His merc takes heavy damage from my troops before I am able to bribe it. At this point it is much less valuable, and its not worth it to spend 100g to claim a merc that has half health, will die next turn (if I don't bribe it), and has 3 or fewer turns remaining before it expires.

3) I try to bribe his mercenary on the same turn as he uses an eject or abandon. Which card has priority? Is it a coin flip? As far as I currently know, I may be the one surprised when my bribery gets superceded by a different card.

If I knew that my bribery card would be very powerful every time I ran into an opponent using mercenaries, then perhaps I could convince myself its worth bringing even if it gets wasted when I play an opponent who doesn't use mercs. But right now, there are many situations where my bribery card won't even prove valuable even though my opponent brought at least one mercenary unit.

I really don't think many players will use the bribery card, unless they are playing somebody who has a reputation for using merc units in constructed decks. Most players will probably opt not to bring either bribery or mercs. By not bringing bribery, they know they won't be bringing a card that is a possible waste. By not bringing mercs, they hope to possibily gain a one card advantage on their opponent if their opponent does bring bribery. Bribery is a scare tactic card, that will make players wary of using mercs, but is not a card that will often be brought or used in its current form.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Bribery Card
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:04 pm 

3) I try to bribe his mercenary on the same turn as he uses an eject or abandon. Which card has priority? Is it a coin flip? As far as I currently know, I may be the one surprised when my bribery gets superceded by a different card.

i tried a few times when they were using airlift (private games ) and each time they were able to still do it , im not sure if i was just unlucky of not , not tried it for aject or abandon

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:24 pm 
Battle Dex Team

Coinflip.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:44 pm 

i must be unlucky then , just tried to take over a merc fighter as they were using airlift and lost the coin toss 9 times in a row

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:04 am 

i think they can airlift either way, i minor artyed a unit and even after its dead the units still got airlifted

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]