OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why do we have nowhere to repair our units?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:29 pm 

I do realize we have tons of repair/heal cards, but what surprises me is that there is no on field way to heal units in game. Almost every Turn Based Strategy has at least one place where you can heal your units, except for this one.

Advanced wars allowed you to heal units on towns, factories, airports, ports, and temporary bases depending on their type (aka only air units repair at airports, etc) , at the cost of a fifth of the unit's cost to repair a fifth of its hitpoints. Age of Empires (on the DS) allowed to heal units at your city, but it took a long time, and your units were usually completely useless as they were far away from the battle.

With this logic, has anyone mentioned the idea of some sort of building/area where you could send your units to heal up, without wasting a card? I have 3 different ideas for how this could be approached...

1. Perhaps a capturable repair bay, similar to how the oil rigs and control points work, that would repair a unit sitting on it as long as you controlled it. Ideally, it would be placed AWAY from the main chokepoints on the map, preventing a player from parking a heavy tank on it and completely shutting down an area. Corners in the map, or near your main base would be likely places to find one. If they are placed in the center of the map or in highly contested areas, maybe make it where the repaired unit cannot fire unless it leaves the repair tile, and if it leaves the repair tile, it will not be repaired that turn (aka its repaired at the end of the turn, not the beginning) This repair point should only be able to heal up to 1/5 the units overall HP in one turn, and more than likely, cost about 1/5 the unit's overall worth (this way, buffed units and hero units would cost more to repair than regular units)

2. Your main starting area could perhaps be used as the repair area. Cards like Evacuation would make a lot more sense, since you would be able to teleport damaged units back to your base in order to heal them. This would serve the added tactical decision of whether a player keeps his weakened units at the front to keep fighting, or pulls them out of the fight for several turns to repair them and then bring them back in at full health. This would also help give a defending player a slight advantage when defending his base, since his units would be able to sit on the deploy tiles and heal by a small amount every turn. As with the repair bay idea, units should not be able to repair by more than 1/5 of their overall health per turn.

3. A repair bay card, similar to the factory and airport cards. This would allow you to place a repair bay on a tile near a friendly ground unit with a small amount of HP. Ideally, it should only be able to heal one unit at a time, and if there are other sources of repair on the map, then this bay should be slightly inferior to make it balanced. Perhaps healing slightly slower (for example, if a normal repair zone healed 1/5 a unit's hp per turn, this deployable repair zone can only heal 1/6 of the hp per turn) And of course, it should cost a fairly high amount of GP, so players have to make a choice between a permanent (but expensive) place to heal units, or a cheaper one time use repair card.

Thats all for me, if you guys have any suggestions or tweaks feel free to post them and let me know. Also, please forgive any typing errors in this post, the forums are bugging out every time I type and its making it hard to tell what I am writing.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Why do we have nowhere to repair our units?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:06 am 

Did you ever play the Myth Series?

Maybe they changed this in Myth 4+ after I stopped playing that series, but I loved Myth 1-3. At the time this game was released ( I played it on Mac ) the closest similarity in game was Warcraft or Starcraft. What I loved about Myth was that you COULD NOT BUILD MORE UNITS OR HEAL UNITS. In was primarily an FFA or Teams Game, and a huge part of the strategy was finding ways to deal damage without taking damage.

I pride myself in BattleDex on my ability to sneak in an extra shot on your unit, to only engage you when I have a clear advantage, and that at then end of almost every game I play, win or loss, more or less gold produced, I killed more of your units that you did of mine.

If you could heal units on the Battlefield, the value of healing cards would be diminished. Part of this game is trying to decide what cards to bring, because that is what abilities you will have... would you like to heal or use a minor arty card? would you like to heal or bring an extra cheap unit?

I think perhaps in an expansion pack, there could be something along the lines you have suggested for healing units on the battlefield without a card, but I think the game works well now without this form of healing. Because I never played Advanced Wars or some of these other games, I was never expecting to be able to heal on the Battlefield... it could just be your previous experiences with other games influencing what you are expecting from this game... maybe if you play this more you will get used to it

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:37 pm 

you could have a new card ''mobile repair man '' were they can not fire / have low hp etc but will heal 1 unit that is next to them for a set amount per turn . You could stop this being op by having to click on the unit that it will heal , this way you can not heal all your units at the same time ??

what you think of this ??

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:09 pm 

well,,
i like the idea of a repair infantry unit that can repair a stationary mech ground unit for say 25% of max hp a turn, and a ambulance unit that can heal an infantry for 50% of max hp a turn.

both of these should be cards, not regular units

another option is to let the base do this to units next to it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:14 pm 

dojadoug wrote:
Did you ever play the Myth Series?

snip

Unfortunately I've never played the Myth series, although I'll deffinitely look into it now. As for your points on repair, I understand, and I wondered if that might be how this game was intended, but as a guy who trys to keep all of his units alive as long as possible, I'm usually a guy who will repair a unit at every possible chance. I've been playing the older Advanced Wars games lately, and if you dont heal your units up constantly you'll get steamrolled (although in those games the power diminishes as they get weaker, unlike this game, so that might be why)

It might still be me just getting acclimated to the game, but nonetheless, I think a repair bay would be awesome if nothing else.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]