OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Remove Carry Over Movement
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:22 am 

So if nothing is there, there is no carry over movement. If there is a 1, then there is carry over movement?

Does a 1 mean that the unit will move on tick 1?

From what I remember you could have "partial carry-over movement."

Example: A unit normally moves on ticks 33, 66, and 100. It is block when it tries to move on tick 33 and is forced to wait until tick 51. Then it will move on 84 (51+33) and will then attempt to move the next turn on tick 17 or 18 (84+(33 or 34) - 100).

However, as an alternative to the example, it could potentially be blocked so that it moves the next turn on tick 30, say. In the example where it moves on tick 17 or 18, it would move before a recon (who normally moves on tick 20). In the alternative where it moves on tick 30, it would not move before a recon.

I certainly appreciate the attempted fix, but I don't think this patch fully fixes the problem. On the one hand, at least now you can know if a unit will move as its supposed to. But if a unit is loaded, you still have no idea how loaded the unit is... Unless I misunderstand this, and the orange-ish number represents the first tick the unit will move on the next turn (which would be my suggestion if it currently does not represent this).

Maybe I am completely mistaken and the orange-ish number means something else completely, like how many ticks early the unit will move... Anyhow, probably best to describe exactly what that number means. :)

The all important goal I am working towards is being able to survey the map and, with the exception of cards and coin-flips, knowing the exact order the units that are visible to me will move.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:46 am 

So I tested it by blocking an artillery before it could move into its first hex. The orange number to the right of movement says "50".

This means that the number is showing how many tics the unit has already loaded (50 will mean that it has completely loaded its movement since it has a movement of 2).

I did a similar experiment with blocking a light tank before it could move into its first hex. The orange number to the right of movement says "25".

So if you see an artillery with a '20' in orange next to movement, it will make its first move on tic 30 that turn.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:57 am 

Was playing Rothmorthau tonight and was in a situation where I was deciding whether to unload my infantry. My infantry was in a troop transport next to the factory and his recon unit was two spaces away from the factory. I checked his recon to make sure there was no carry over movement and that my infantry (if unloaded) would beat his recon to the factory. I was shocked when his recon then moved twice before my infantry moved once.

I decided to watch the replay after we were done playing. When you watch the replay from the dual view or from his view it shows carry over movement on the recon. When you watch strictly from my view it does not. Which means that currently you cannot see carry over movement on your opponent's units, which is generally the point of carry over movement - allowing a player to properly plan his orders and prevent surprises like the one that happened to me.

Well, theoretically it should probably be an easy fix.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2