OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Remove Carry Over Movement
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:00 pm 

There was a long thread on unit movement and the tick system that I posted a long time ago and that Chrism replied to in green lettering.

Reconsidering this issue, I think either carry-over movement needs to go or the new UI which shows unit details needs to include what tick the unit will first be moving on the next turn. I understand how the tick system works and how carry over works but a new player would think the mechanics are broken and might quit on the spot.

Even to a player like myself who is aware of carry-over, its extremely frustrating. Kept losing Campaign 14 because a 3 movement speed AA would make its third move before my 4 movement speed infantry would take its third move. Now I realize what is happening.

4-Speed Infantry Moves: 25,50,75,100
3-Speed AA (with carry over) Can Move: 1,34,67

I actually thought this was a V2 glitch until I realized what was happening.

When a player surveys the map and chooses his movement, he should expect that all units will move in their normal fashion unless he has access to information which displays when they will actually move.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Remove Carry Over Movement
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:20 pm 

i agree, it's very frustrating and I find myself just ignoring it entirely most of the time. I think the best thing to do would be to get rid of decimals (except maybe .5's) and round everything up/down. If a unit is on a road or track or something that gives a movement buff, that should be displayed on the unit stats window (with a * after it to indicate it's only when the unit is on the road) and possibly even a temporary icon on the unit's health bar. And if all decimals except .5's were taken out, then there should definitely be a set law of which of the two turns would have the extra movement (imo the second one). For example a fighter with 6.5 movement can move 6 on turn 1 and 7 on turn 2

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:56 pm 

I disagree. I like carryover movement, but it should be displayed somehow if you click on the unit. That way it is your fault if you don't look instead of it feeling like "chance".

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:23 pm 

Its a shame that the new UI contains so much information about units that I had already memorized, but doesn't contain carry over movement, something that is impossible to know or memorize.

Also, as Bubbles points out, there is a difference between carry over movement from roads or from being blocked. I don't understand why there should even be carry over movement from being blocked. If you are blocked, you can't move...

Ironically, carry over movement helped you win a recent game we played Rothmorthau. My Merc Fighter was on a factory that was on your half of the map. When that unit moved, I had ordered my Light Tank Hero - which is faster than infantry - to move onto it and block your infantry. However, when my Merc Fighter moved, your infantry moved first and was able to get control. Unless I am confused and LT heroes can't move the turn they are played...

http://battledexgame.com/game.php?game_id=31982 - turn 4

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:58 pm 

I always felt carry over to be an important part of the game, however, the new UI info on units kind of looks "overloaded" imho.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:25 pm 

I've finally had it. Carry over movement, if not removed, needs to be shown in some fashion. When you click on a unit, it should show what tick the unit will first move on. This will help beginners in that they can easily find out which unit will move first without memorizing the speeds, and it will help veterans who want to know if a unit is loaded.

Currently, whether a unit is loaded generally comes as a complete surprise. Surprises are frustrating. Frustration makes me want to play a different game (i.e. cancel my membership). There are already enough surprises as it is (i.e. the use of cards). There are already unknowns with unit movement (coin flips). I should at least be able to count on a faster unit moving before a slower unit, and if it isn't going to, I should at least be able to find out in advance when I give my orders.

There are many minor things in this game I would change, adjust, etc. But this is my single pet peeve. This is a make or break issue with me and this game.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:54 pm 

I put this on the bugs server (it's technically a bugs/features server), with a higher priority setting than almost everything there. I'll let you know if dagnor tells me anything about it. This should come eventually, but there are bugs and other things we need to focus on first

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:48 pm 

dagnor emailed me today and told me that the game (on the test server) now shows carry-over movement (and i can confirm). It's just a yellowish orangey number that would come after the movement bonus. Ex.
Movement 6 +3 1
The number doesn't show up if it's 0 (more often than you'd think). We're thinking about how to deal with this for all players, including newer ones who don't know about carry-over movement. I told him that I think a tooltip for the number would be the simplest and best answer for newer players (and older players that dont understand it fully like myself), but it may change to something else (in the current test build, there is no tooltip yet, just the number)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:42 pm 

Great news! I'm glad this is being implemented, it makes the game much more fair.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:44 am 

Hopefully we'll get the tooltip done and the update up asap. He asked me what I thought about a tooltip vs redesigning the unit stats boxes vs other options, but I said I think it was best to go with the simplest (and easiest) method -- the tooltip -- so we can focus on the huge bug list and the few really big things players wanna see, such as creating your own tournament, in-game replays, etc

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next