OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Penalty for leaving tournament before it ends
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:10 pm 

There should be a penalty for quitting a tournament before it is over. Once you have checked in if you quit the tournament after winning a game you should have a penalty to your ranked points as if you lost to a person of the same skill.

It is very frustrating to be knocked out of a tournament only to have that person quit immediately after winning, and this would provide incentive for players to not enter tournaments they know they cannot finish.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Penalty for leaving tournament before it ends
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:42 pm 

We already talked about this in depth so Rothmorthau knows I disagree. My approach has always been to worry about what I can control: beat the person in front of you. If that person wants to quit before the end of the tourney - or has to quit for a legitimate reason - so be it. From my view a person who only plays one round and quits could either help me or hurt me, so no big deal, it will even out over time.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:36 pm 

I actually disagree.

1) Whether you lose and the guy leaves right after or you lose and he goes on, either way you lost your spot in the tournament fair and square. I get that it may be a little annoying if they leave, but it doesn't change the fact that you lost fairly. if the match-ups weren't random I'd say different, but theres no way they can have it out for you specifically then leave, so i see no harm in this

2) Aside from losing any chance at the prizes, should a player be further penalized if someone shows up to their house unannounced or they have a family emergency or another ton of possible circumstances? I don't think so, but i guess that's subjective

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:30 pm 

My feelings on the matter are purely from a sportsmanship perspective.

This is a bigger problem in free tournaments, which many free-to-play only players will be trying to win cards/packs. It is less of a problem in pay tournaments, since quitting inherently means the player loses something (the entrance cost).

So the question that I post is this: Is it sportsmanlike to have an affect on the outcome of a tournament with prizes if you have no intention of competing for those prizes?

I feel that it is not sportsmanlike. Is it fair? well as Bubbles put it:
Bubbles wrote:
1) Whether you lose and the guy leaves right after or you lose and he goes on, either way you lost your spot in the tournament fair and square.

So yes, it is FAIR. But no, it is not sportsmanlike. I am not the only one who has felt this way in the past either. Muppit found the whole quitting tournaments thing annoying as well.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2538&hilit=quit+tournament

Now my suggestion of causing 1 loss of ranking to occur when someone quits a tournament will help stop two things:

1) It will keep people from playing in tournaments and affecting their outcome when they never intend to finish.

2) It will provide incentive for players to keep playing in a tournament even if their cards are not great for sealed play.

Keep in mind that because you keep your cards throughout a tourney (there have been TONS of arguments about this in the past) many players will just quit after their first game assuming they will lose. Is that in the spirit of competition? No, it just prevents that person from losing ladder points (and prevents other players from earning them).

Now is this a huge deal? Not really.

Is this annoying? Yeah, it kind of is.

Could it be fixed by attaching a penalty? Yeah, mostly.

That is why I made this suggestion, to potentially fix an annoyance in the tournament system, and keep all the players entering tournaments "honest" and sportsmanlike.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:45 am 

well, in the end this is up to Dagnor's opinion. I'll email him the link for this thread so he can consider it :)

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]