OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: 1 v 1 Ladder #3
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:24 pm 

This was an important tournament as it was for 4th spot on the $1,000 ladder. A really good spot.

It was a four round tournament.

In first round I played HexFreak. Although I had not seen him in a while, I was a little worried because he just beat Asfa yesterday in sealed and I remembered he used to be good. I'm glad he came back.

We were playing on desert duel. I made a rookie mistake and did not notice that he did not take his resource first turn. I should have noticed that and immediately been fishy. However, he did not take it on turn two either. I saw that. If you are going to baes rush, take your first resource on turn 1 or you are tipping yourself off.

Once I knew he was base rushing (or not paying attention -- in which case I would win anyway), I knew he must be in one spot since I would have seen him anywhere else. I quickly built and artillery and sent all of my forces to where I thought he was. If I had gone the wrong direction 1 more turn, I would have lost. I was able to hold him off with more than 250 hp left.

Second game was against JoJo on Great Wide. He took resource on turn 1. However, on turn two he was not anywhere to be found. I got nervous. Especially because my build was terrible against base rush. I had just airborne rangered a guy, had a special forces, 2 recons, an AA, and a merc fighter. I had nothing that would do damage. If he was base rushing and I didnt send everything back now, I would lose. Thus, I guessed he was baserushing and sent all my forces back. He did airlift in, but I at least had some forces there. On the next turn I made the decision to airlift in my AA. Even though it would not do much, I noticed he was not priority targetting my base. The airlifted in AA would soak up 100 damage. It worked. I lived with 90 base hps left. Thank god for the AA airlift. I got lucky.

In round 3 I had Witcher. Most think the top players are Witcher, Asfa, Justice, and Solid (though he is dropping). I think Witcher is amazing. I never want to play him. I noticed he won his first round in 6 turns and got a bye in round 2. You should always see what your opponents do. Since he won on turn 6 and my first two opponents baserushed, I thought he likely was too. The baserushes were different than I had seen and I figured people had found a way to base rush successfully.

Therefore, I changed my deck and added 2 enlist artillerys and a temporary damage boost. If he was base rushing, the artillery's would crush him.

Unfortunately, he was not base rushing. I saw his recon on turn 2 in the middle and he took his first resource in 1 turn -- I wonder if he baserushed first round or just won quick. My artillery took at his recons in middle and I was able to keep him on the ropes all game.

Funny thing is he said my deck was a perfect counter to his. That was funny, because I was trying to counter a base rush. I guess it also countered his deck.

Finals were against Seanpaul. Seanpaul is one of the best players. I think he is better than most people think. We played on Oasis. I put 2 artillery in again in case he was base rushing. After 2 baserushes in 2 rounds, I guess I was overly nervous. The artillery let me take a jeep. The turning point was when my 2 artillerys were able to kill his special forces before he took back a resource.

Once I had control of the game (both resources) it was still close as he had a big CP lead. I was just barely able to take the 2 CPs fast enought to win.

Yet another big tournament without a cash prize and another win. No matter what I do, I can't seem to join the money list. I am hoping to change that in the team tournament or in the ladder. Wish me luck.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: 1 v 1 Ladder #3
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:06 pm 

Inferno wrote:
Yet another big tournament without a cash prize and another win. No matter what I do, I can't seem to join the money list. I am hoping to change that in the team tournament or in the ladder. Wish me luck.

Ladder: GOGO INFERNO
Teams: no way.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:42 pm 

Does this mean I have to do a battle report too.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:31 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Inferno, do you have a teammate? Want to be my teammate? Albiet I'm probably not as good as I once was ;)

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1958&p=11367#p11367

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:34 am 

You are still the best in my opinion. You just only turn it on when there is something at stake.

I would have loved to team with you. I thought you were teaming with Asfa. I already have Justice as a teammate.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]