OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Seriously AGAIN? Luck beyond good and evil and more
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:30 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

http://battledexgame.com/game.php?game_id=25775

This isn't fun anymore. The whole game decided on turn2 due to the stupid game mechanics. Why is it even possible one player wins BOTH the cointosses?
Just for the record - the game before the same thing happened although it wasn't as grave as this time.
http://battledexgame.com/game.php?game_id=25770

Even if I risk being called Geral but I simply hate that much luck being involved in a strategy game.

And then the luck continues:
turn2: he wins both cointosses for the resources
turn3: AA fires before the Fighter moves
turn6: fighter fires before recon moves
turn8: arty fires before recon moves
turn11: AA moves AND fires before fighter moves 2 hexes although the AA moved 3 and fired last tick the turn before and my fighter only moved half it's range
turn17: his AA,recon and arty fire before even one of my five unit moves or fires

Why can't you just make sure this doesn't happen all the time? Let each player win the same amount of cointosses! And let fast units move before slow ones fire!

And btw, the 2x replay speed option doesnt work since forever! If you uncheck the box now, the game turns into slowmotion. And the sound option still is shit. Although the slider is on the lowest setting (which isn't marked btw) I get the full noise when starting the game. I already reported this. Why don't you hire a second programmer which isn't from Nepal or whatever because the game is progressing like a racing snail. Even I could fix a dozen bugs a day if I got paid for it.
And the amount of players is constantly dropping - half of the tourneys doesnt even start and the other half has 4-8 players. Regarding there are like 200million possible customers, this is a miserable number. Why don't you start ads in Germany - since those are the no1 when it comes to hardcore strategy (and are already half of the players although there haven't been any attempts to promote the game here).
And why do you refuse help from the community? There are dozens of suggestions and improvements every day, often people offer their time (like translating the game) and we get like 1 change and 2 bug fixes each month.
This is not how one develops a successful mmo.
And Chris could you please cancel my premium subscription? Since there's apperently no other way to do this. I don't even feel like honoring our coop-special-prize since it wouldn't change anything anyway.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Seriously AGAIN? Luck beyond good and evil and more
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:45 pm 

No need to be so pissed off.

The probability of one player winning the 2 coin tosses, although low, it still 1 in each 4 times.

As for the moving and firing, there was already another topic, where a possible solution for some cases was found - like, when the moving or firing depends on a cointoss, the faster unit should win by default. However, some of the sequences might not have depended on coin tosses.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:34 pm 

Geral wrote:
No need to be so pissed off.

The probability of one player winning the 2 coin tosses, although low, it still 1 in each 4 times.

As for the moving and firing, there was already another topic, where a possible solution for some cases was found - like, when the moving or firing depends on a cointoss, the faster unit should win by default. However, some of the sequences might not have depended on coin tosses.

irony to the max

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:58 pm 

This is my current view of the game: its in an extended beta testing process. I'm not saying this is a technical company stance, but we have a low population (beta like), there are many kinks to work out (beta like).

I would recommend that everyone on here who likes this game sticks with it. I would also recommend NOT putting out more advertising until more issues are resolved. We had a huge influx of players a while ago from TeamLiquid, but clearly the product wasn't up to snuff enough at the time to hold them. I would advise everyone being patient.

The one thing I have noticed though is that there are less and less updates. I remember early on there was an update every couple of days. Perhaps this has to do with a lot of work being put into the Single Player Campaign.

IMO, this game needs to be completed, then advertised. But heck, there are a lot of games around these days... online shooter games, sports games, etc. It can be difficult to convince somebody that YOUR game is better than someone else's game. The trick is that your game has to be as legit as possible. It can't have a ghetto chat interface, it can't have a ghetto matchmaking system, it can't have ghetto volume controls.

Chrism - Don't cancel my membership! I will keep supporting you guys throughout.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:48 pm 

This game has some bugs.
This game is incomplete.
This game has a dwindling user-base.

...But this game is still the best strategy game I have ever played, and most definitely the best online game I have ever played which is still very much playable without paying.

Even so, this is why I paid for a subscription...to support the developers. As a game programmer myself, I understand the exponential maintenance issues that are involved in not only developing the game, but pushing the game to the masses and improving it based on feedback. This is why I play the game almost everyday. It's entertaining and has huge potential. It is not ready yet, but with the dedicated players' help, we can help Bandera and the developers make this game into something big.

hangedman13 and I have been teaching quite a few newbies how to play and do the cooperative missions recently, and ya know what? Most of those players are more interested in the game now and still ask to play games with us.

All I'm saying is give the game a chance (it's unofficially still in beta) and maybe see what you can do to help the community a little.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:14 pm 

I'm really trying to help new players in the game as well. I gift them usually about half a dozen cards for free, commons and uncommons that i have more than 3 of. It's not huge, but i would have loved to of had more cards to choose from when i was struggling thru the training missions. It's nice because usually when i offer free cards, they will go ahead and become premium so that they can actually accept the cards via trade. Also, I play private sealed games with them, and I dont' use any cards at all, so they have a real fighting chance. The system i have is, once they beat me, then I get to add one card to my deck. if i beat them, then i subtract a card from my deck. it's a nice way to handicap myself so that it's still fun and challenging for me, and highly educational for them. I like to give them all the tips and tricks. this way, the community grows, and there are more people I can have challenging matches with.

I recently met Theis thru a different computer game and invited him to try BD out. He AND his wife are totallly into the game now, and we have completed several co ops together. I'm very happy to say that he beat me twice in a row in sealed matches yesterday. Say hi and invite him to a game sometime. He's pretty damn good for someone only playing for 2.5 weeks.

Also, challenge Gothic Hamster, another new BD friend of mine. Super nice guy, with tons of potential.

Be nice to new players, give them your spare commons and uncommons!!! You sure as hell dont' need them!

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]