OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ELO system -.- and bribery imba in sealed
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:18 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

I know I've said this before but the ELO System sucks. I don't know why we should play tourneys after all.

I just lost the final round in the $50 tournament and the funny thing is, although seanpaul has just slighlty less sealed rating than me and I won the previous 3 rounds of the tournament - all capable and well ranked players (Inferno, Thor, Legalas) - I LOST rating! WHY? That's retarded, I got to the finals and get punished for it. I cannot imagine why anyone would find that fair.

Now the bribery card: I'm not sure I would have made it if seanpaul hasn't had that card, but it's no doubt the card is too powerful. Every good player I asked also told me this and is uncomfortable with the card. The card is completely useless in constructed, which is why noone uses it. The chance of a good constructed player using mercs is almost zero. Maybe to airlift them but then they usually kill the unit that has vision and you can't do bribery anyway.
In sealed though the chance of using mercs is around 90% (my guess). So even used on a light tank merc it's more than worth the cost. (enemy "loses" 40g, you "gain" 40g + a unit in the middle of your enemy's forces and total surprise)
Either increase the cost or debuff the merc in some way. Like pacify for one turn.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: ELO system -.- and bribery imba in sealed
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:20 pm 

Once you get up there, you simply can't lose - it's too costly.

I should have kept quiet when I got up there, it's too easy to have a string of losses that take away huge chunks of the rating.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:36 pm 

The cost needs to be raised drastically, I'd say somewhere in the 150-170 range.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:59 pm 

That would make it a useless card - too expensive though it could sometimes turn a game.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:09 pm 

Would you take it in sealed if it cost 150g? I think you would. It makes about as much difference as Light Tank Hero in my opinion.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 am 

I think the devs hit it right on the spot at 100.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:06 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

HighVibes wrote:
I think the devs hit it right on the spot at 100.

Why? Please support your point with some facts!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:58 am 

Were mercs easily one of the best, (if not thee best) values in the game last year? Yes they were, that's why everyone continues to use them in sealed.

But since Bribery, it's possible that you get "what you pay for". A unit at the best possible price, but with a high risk factor due to questionable loyalty. Simply put, it's a trade off.

Actually taking the Bribery card in Constructed is also a high risk factor. Could turn the tide of a game, or be thee single most useless card of the entire set taking up a valuable spot. If it was ALWAYS useful in EVERY game, i would say raise the price. But it's not. And if you choose to take mercs in sealed, then that's your gamble. That's a choice that you made...

Pre-Bribery everyone got spoiled on mercs. Now that there are possible consequences to using mercs, a lot of people complain. I think the devs did a great job at altering the meta game in a meaningful, influential, and timely way. And at the right price.

If you want to talk about hard numbers as to why you disagree with the cost that the devs chose, i think the burden of proof is upon you... How do you put a cost on " + a unit in the middle of your enemy's forces and total surprise"? if that's even the case. That's subjective and not even always true. For example a speed buffed merc fighter out scouting is not in the middle of enemy forces. And the "total surprise" element of Bribery should have worn off halfway thru January, once you had your first merc taken from you, IMO.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:28 am 

hmpf wrote:
Like pacify for one turn.

This seems like the best solution.

The issue with bribery is that it's extremely effective even on the cheapest of commonl used mercs (LT), by the simple fact that the enemy loses 40g, you win 40g worth of unit and the enemy gets totally surprised and faced against an enemy unit in his lines for which he most likely has no effective counter. That's worth a lot more than the remaining 20g.

But if you start nitpicking at prices it's hard to balance, so pacifying them the first turn at least gives the opponent to react in some way (debuff it, use evac on vulnerable units, turn back the aproppiate units to face it, etc). You're still far behind, but at least you can react in some way.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:20 am 

Wait...

"Pacify" a hired killer? Who just got paid 100 credits MORE than his original pay to be as disruptive as possible for his remaining (at the most 4) turns left? So that the enemy he is hired to kill "has time to react" to him???

Now who is being Silly? :lol:

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next