OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Create the Starter Deck Winner . . .
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:39 am 
Battle Dex Team

Thank you for the many entries we received in the competition. We actually received over 100 entries, many from users that have never posted anywhere on the site and that I did not even know existed. We also received multiple entries from the numerous users that post multiple times.

We have chosen to go with the starter deck listed below because we feel this deck is competive and shows new players many of the features in the game. This is a combination of a few of the submitted decks as opposed to one players exact submission. All of these cards were included in many of the suggested decks.

And the winner is . . . . . . . FEWAR.

He had 9 of the final 12 cards in the starter deck and another very similar card.

Runners up were: Bubbles, Deus91, Predatorc, Kaili, and Schlumpfi. They either had neat ideas, a very similar deck to the final selection, or a card used in the final selection that no one else suggested.

Fewar wins 20 packs and 2 Byes in the Sealed Deck Tournament on July 24th.

Each of the runners up win 15 packs. Congratulations.

Commons

Adrenaline -- critical on many boards
Merc Fighter -- we wanted a merc and this is the best one (usually)
Transport -- useful card that has numerous strategic uses
Binoculars -- useful and everyone needs and answer to camo
Camouflage -- camo is cool and new players should know about it or else they are going to be wondering what the heck is killing them.
Firepower -- we thought a buff was important
No Fly Zone -- We thought a debuff was important
Medic -- Healing is good

Uncommons

Last Line of Defense -- we'd like to deter base rushing against new players
Airlift 2 -- cool card and can create a combe with LLOD
AA Hero -- everyone loves a hero --

Rare

Enlist Infantry and Recon -- We wanted an enlist card and an infantry and recon are a good start to any game

For those wondering -- this was Fewar's submission except AA Hero replaced Artillery Blast, Enlist Infantry and Recon replaced Enlist Infantry, and Camo replaced Infantry Tech

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Create the Starter Deck Winner . . .
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:32 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

dont know if i should like this deck. its a well balanced deck i guess with nothing to crazy exept LLOD but also without any kind of easy understandable tactic. but we will all have this deck right?
so basically the merc fighter in it sucks if you know your opponent has an aa hero and no fly zone and who uses a fighter without airborne or eject? btw i thougth we werent allowed to use heros? oO
also the medic isnt the best thing to have when you dont use a buffed infantry unit. and i dont know if camou will see a lot of use since your opponent has binoculars and until you killed the vision buffed unit its not save using camou. but both players have that so basically dead card slot for both?
firepower feels weird. i dont know what to buff but i guess it always will be an arty so players wont use the light tank as often as i would like to see it personally. as a new player when you are not into the game you might give your opponent 2 free shoots on you tank and against a firepowered arty you wont use a light tank again in the next month.

suggestions:
i really like to see the aa hero gets replaced by a buffed unit or smoke he makes air not possible to play expecially with airlift 2 around, lifting the recon with vision buff and hero to enemys buffed air unit---> gg
the firepower with enlist aa(strongest choice) buffed unit a blind or a repair(makes more sence than medic)
medic: new players will use it first but realize that their infantry units die anyways, put it out of the deck and after some strong players began using buffed infantrys with medic they will put it back in.

just my thougts. and really only one single deck? i was hoping seeing at least 3. maybe another construct a deck contest is comming soon?
edit: i was wrong with the firepower buffed arty more likely being a heavy tank drop with firepower on enemy units

Last edited by jojo on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:46 am 

jojo wrote:
dont know if i should like this deck. its a well balanced deck i guess with nothing to crazy exept LLOD but also without any kind of easy understandable tactic. but we will all have this deck right?

/agreed and yes
jojo wrote:
so basically teche merc fighter in it sucks if you know your opponent has an aa hero and no fly zone and who uses a fighter without airborne or eject?

yep the merc fighter pretty much doesnt make any sense, because the opponent will be aware of the fact that the guy he plays against is a noob (Rank Symbol) and just dont use his but get his AA ready to screw the fighter.
I definitly think you either need to remove the hero+noflyzone combination or the merc fighter for something else, because this way it just doesnt make any sense.
jojo wrote:
btw i thougth we werent allowed to use heros? oO

We weren't. And I thought that was a good idea, as Heros are even in sealed often a gamechanger.

jojo wrote:
also the medic isnt the best thing to have when you dont use a buffed infantry unit. and i dont know if camou will see a lot of use since your opponent has binoculars and until you killed the vision buffed unit its not save using camou.

im almost 90% sure that the medic will be the first card ill put out, because its simply no use, as here explained.
agreed@camo
jojo wrote:
firepower feels weird. i dont know what to buff but i guess it always will be an arty so players wont use the light tank as often as i would like to see it personally. as a new player when you are not into the game you might give your opponent 2 free shoots on you tank and against a firepowered arty you wont use a light tank again in the next month.

i like firepower, also great if your opponent throws fighters at you en masse

jojo wrote:
suggestions:
i really like to see the aa hero gets replaced by a buffed unit or smoke he makes air not possible to play expecially with airlift 2 around, lifting the recon with vision buff and hero to enemys buffed air unit---> gg
the firepower with enlist aa(strongest choice) buffed unit a blind or a repair(makes more sence than medic)

i dont have any real suggestions for this but yeah, hero has to go out, i mean its a beginners deck and it features a combination that takes one aspect of the game (early fighters) out completly.
jojo wrote:
medic: new players will use it first but realize that their infantry units die anyways, put it out of the deck and after some strong players began using buffed infantrys with medic they will put it back in.

with old price (10) it would have been playable anyways but this way:
jojo wrote:
just my thougts. and really only one single deck? i was hoping seeing at least 3. maybe another construct a deck contest is comming soon?
edit: i was wrong with the firepower buffed arty more likely being a heavy tank drop with firepower on enemy units

hopefully more create a deck contests and @heavy+firepower -> there is no blind included so i guess this will most likely happen

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:56 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

Medic costed 5 when I was making the deck and I had tech infantry in it.

Also this was not supposed to be some strong deck, but something from everything. You will get another cards.

Thanks for the byes!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:15 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

fewar wrote:
Also this was not supposed to be some strong deck, but something from everything. You will get another cards.

missing: special, and sadly buffed units, damage armor, super buffs
it isnt somthing of everything. and imagine you are a new player you certainly want a lined up strategy in some way but nothing like this in here=(
is it just me or has anyone this feeling that this cards doesnt support each other?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:47 am 

aw man! Fewar gets even more byes xD But I'm excited to know I was close :) Grats fewar

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:48 am 
Battle Dex Team

Agree with most of your comments JoJo. Will think about modifications.

BTW -- I said any rare except the heroes. AA is an uncommone hero. Though I see your point about removing him.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:52 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

I am also against hero. Imagine you get that hero when you open first and only pack. It would be totally useless card, as everyone will have it and you can use only one. And many people will get it in first pack, some of them will get even 2 aa heroes :) .

I also thought that there will be several decks and everyone will get 1 random.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:58 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

chrism wrote:
Agree with most of your comments JoJo. Will think about modifications.

BTW -- I said any rare except the heroes. AA is an uncommone hero. Though I see your point about removing him.

thx chrism. the problem is i really liked the decks i created and even concidered for a second to sell my airborne ranger to get one of mine. is that possible anyway?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:19 pm 

Here is what I proposed

Hi,
here is my proposal for the starter deck contest. The deck concept is to help newbies to learn the most aspects of the game.

The infantry contingent:
1. Guerilla Fighter (UC) I am trying to make the deck competitive :). Camouflage and playing around it is an elemental skill that all good players have to master.
2. Tech Infantry (C) A buffed unit. It is here to teach the newbie that Guerilla Fighter can not be played on it.
3. Medic (C) Heal your infantry at the key moment. Can turn the tables sometimes, but it is not a strong card.
4. Adrenaline (C) On the most maps you are in disadvantage from the beginning without this card. A must have.

Some other movement:
5. Airlift 2 (UC) All big maps need this card. Use it for run or rush. Tactical possibilities are endless.
6. No Fly Zone (C) When the movement is the key, try to take it from your enemy. A complete all-in one deck needs a debuff too.

Units and buffs:
7. Enlist Recon (C) any enlist unit could be in this post. Recon was chosen because the visibility is the key of success in this game. Let the newbie know this.
8. Binoculars (C) A weapon against enemy Guerillas. A further lesson from the importance of visibility.
9. Ballistics (R) The range is also important! The only rare card should be a strong, on some maps essential card.
10. Mercenary Fighter (C) Which mercenary do you play the most? The Fighter! Be prepared for the Fighter Merc start! (and an opposing No Fly Zone, lol!)
11. Minor Repair (C) Just to learn that air units can be healed with it too. Not the best card, but very useful if you play it wisely.
And finally, something Special:
12. Minor Artillery (UC). Expensive but it is worth to play in some cases. A unique ability, must be included in a learning deck.

During the deck construction process I wanted to include a Troop Transport too. That would show how to rescue an injured Inf, and maybe a combo resource rush with the Airlift. But there are enough movement cards in the deck, so I left it out.

Please, make the infantry part of the starting deck stronger. With just a camouflage on a normal unit there will be no competitions, your starting deck will lose ALWAYS against other decks.
And please take the last line of defence out. that is a dead card in most cases.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]