OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Steam
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:40 pm 

Just an idea for the development team. Steam (store.steampowered.com) has a user base of millions of gamers who use the steam client to download pc games.

There is a section for free to play games on steam, which I think would help considerably in bringing in new players consistently over time if Battledex were on that list. Many steam users are very frugal and just stick around for the big sales that steam offers, but during times that there aren't many good sales people often go to the free to play section.

From what I hear being available for download from steam can sometimes be difficult as you have to maintain certain standards that valve has set, so it would add a little work to ensure that the game followed all of the guidelines. Still, access to such a huge number of customers might be worth the effort.

Just some food for thought :)

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Steam
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:26 pm 

Thats a good idea! In our current stage, I doubt they'd be up for that (considering we're still technically in beta) but one all the kinks are finally out of the way and everything, thatd be a great way to quickly increase the playerbase!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:33 am 

i feel like as soon as u put this shit on steam i can finally hit the matchmakeing button and find a game!!!!!!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:36 am 

You should visit Kickstarter too.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:57 am 

I have to second this idea. I don't usually play on Steam but I do have it loaded on my computer and it has an enormous database. Many people play exclusively on Steam and won't touch a game that isn't on it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:46 pm 

Forgot to mention though what one of the guidelines would likely be that Rothmorthau alluded to. Generally Steam, as a restriction, will require that anyone playing BattleDex on Steam would only be able to play other players on Steam. Therefore, this would essentially create two servers: one for Steam and one for non-Steam.

There was a huge issue regarding this when the game Dungeon Defenders was released. Many people had pre-paid for Dungeon Defenders on Gamersgate (where I bought BattleDex, coincidentally). However, when they downloaded Dungeon Defenders after it was released, they found that many of the games on the server list (the vast majority, actually) they could not enter because these were games being run on Steam. The eventual resolution was a deal that allowed people who bought Dungeon Defenders on Gamersgate to receive a redemption code that allowed them to get a free copy of the game on Steam.

In other words, moving to Steam probably requires an all-out move there.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]