OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: May Premium / New card types and character models
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:47 pm 

So there's some good news and some bad news. But i think you'll be excited ;)

the bad news: The may premium card is taking a little while to get ready. However the good news is more than worth it

the good news: We are playing around with new card types. This months card is Bazooka, which allows an infantry unit to shoot his normal 3 shots per turn, but also adds one more shot (with a bazooka) that deals more damage to a unit at the beginning of the turn. Dagnor and I have been talking today about more "equip"-like cards like this; effects that last on a unit until it dies, whether that be changing its weapon, giving it a second weapon, etc. I guess this could be compared to cards like Abandon that permanently turns a ground unit into an infantry until the inf dies

Dagnor also mentioned that he wanted character models for the infantry with a bazooka and possibly others (no spoilers!). The plan is to have the bazooka-inf shoot at the beginning of the turn, then switch to the normal inf model for the rest of the turn.

I also talked to him about another campaign, however this is much more speculative: I mentioned that I would love to try to design my own campaign, with not only a different story, but also different mechanics and specialized units -- for example, a permanent bazooka-inf. However the key feature I really would like to see if I designed my own campaign would be a leveling-up system for units where they get experience after each successful shot fired and as they level up, they gain perks. These bonuses could be anything from a small speed boost to a full heal to an upgrade to an entirely different unit (ex. an infantry could level up and choose to specialize between a sniper or a front-line war machine). I'd even like to see some very game-changing things like camo buffs from leveling up or allowing a fully leveled recon to capture a resource and/or CP. These features would only exist in this campaign however and are purely speculative. this is not in development and is just an idea I've been throwing around, so please don't get your hopes up. Our main focus is to fix everything that's wrong (because Lord knows there's an endless list of issues), and THEN add some cool features. But i wanted to give yall an update, explain why this month's card is a little late, and give yall some insight on what's to come and what's on our minds as of right now. Hope you enjoy!

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: May Premium / New card types and character models
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:35 pm 

Bubbles wrote:
However the key feature I really would like to see if I designed my own campaign would be a leveling-up system for units where they get experience after each successful shot fired and as they level up, they gain perks. These bonuses could be anything from a small speed boost to a full heal to an upgrade to an entirely different unit (ex. an infantry could level up and choose to specialize between a sniper or a front-line war machine).

Sounds like someone has been playing some "Elven Legacy." And if you don't know what I'm talking about, you should check it out because your concept sounds eerily similar to the one used in that game.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:41 pm 

I have, in fact, never heard of that game >.<
Right now my friend and i are enjoying one last co-op hurrah in diablo 2, before we focus all our gaming fun on the impending diablo 3 :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:41 pm 

Then allow me to fill you in on Elven Legacy...

- Turn based game on a hexagonal map (but each side takes turns, as opposed to BattleDex where the turns are simultaneous).
- Units gain experience for everything they do, attacking, being attacked, using a skill
- When a unit levels up, one of several perks can be chosen, meaning that the unit can grow in different directions, so to speak
- After certain levels new units are unlocked, and old units can be upgraded into new units. But certain units are upgradeable to more than one new unit. So, for example, Elven Conscripts can upgrade to Elven Archers or Elven Fencers.
- When units upgrade, they keep the perks they previously attained. In the example above, for instance, Elven Conscripts that are upgraded into Elven Archers keep the perks from when they were Elven Conscripts, some of these perks which would not be available to Elven Archers that began as Elven Archers.

It is essentially a campaign game that is very similar to the Panzer General series, although that may be before your time. Each campaign level has three different time limits, so you can win in gold, silver, or bronze. Obviously bronze represents the maximum time limit, but beating the level within the silver or gold time limit gives extra bonuses that can be used on the following levels (gold, items, units).

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:17 pm 

Youre right, that does sound a lot like my dream battledex campaign! Although leveling would be independent for each unit, reset after each mission, and units wouldn't receive exp for EVERYTHING. But still, very similar :) Like i said, this is just an idea that I may or may not work on over the summer. Lord knows I'll be busy enough, learning C++, rockin diablo 3, still playing starcraft II, marching season starting, getting ready for the humongous mountain of senior year, blah blah blah. It's kind of a good thing I have very little social life :P

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]