OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Order of Cards Taking Effect (Problem With Blind)
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:20 am 

Before I discuss this idea, I want to make clear a premise that I am working under: "If possible, the game should not be decided on coin flips." If you disagree with this premise then we have two different views on what makes for a fun game. Also, I acknowledge that some coin flips are inherently necessary, such as: (1) When two opposing units try to move into a hexagon on the same tick; (2) When two players use a card on the same turn to instantly move a unit into a hexagon (i.e. airlift, infiltrate, etc).

So I ran into a situation today that I didn't realize could happen or forgot could happen (not too many games played these days). I used an infantry hero card. My opponent used a blind card on the unit I was playing the infantry hero next to. The blind card played first, I lost vision, and the infantry hero was returned to my hand unused. There are two reasons why this seems especially disturbing:

1) Blind is already a very powerful card (some would argue too powerful). This makes it even more powerful, because on the 50% chance it plays first, it can negate any card your opponent was counting on that vision to use.

2) It appears the following situation could occur: Two players move their recon forward on round one and can see each other during the round two orders. Each player plays a blind card on the other (and perhaps other cards that need the recon's vision). The player whose blind plays first will get all his cards requiring that vision played, the player whose blind plays second gets none of his cards requiring that vision played, including blinding his opponent's recon.

The obvious problem with the scenario described is that what could be a great, intense, fun game, could suddenly be essentially ended on a 50% coin flip that isn't necessary. Rather than a winner being determined by skill, it is determined by an unnecessary coin flip.

Solution: Before any cards are played, have the computer store the vision that each player has. Then, as the cards are played, reference the stored vision for playability rather than the current vision, which is susceptible to being altered as the cards are played.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Order of Cards Taking Effect (Problem With Blind)
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:27 pm 

I had a similar discussion a while back and got a response from Dagnor. You can take a look here -

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3142

I agree with you though doja, the game would be more fair (competitive) if blinds work the way you suggested.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Order of Cards Taking Effect (Problem With Blind)
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:08 pm 

Interesting...

Also, I'm curious exactly how the queue order works. If I play four cards on given turn, will the first card I play be higher in the queue? That would mean there is a tactic in the order you play cards.

Again, my position is that the vision should be stored at the beginning of the turn and playing cards relies on the stored vision, so there is no difference in the order you play cards. But it is important to know if currently the order I play cards makes a difference in how they are queued.

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]