OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mulligan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:46 pm 

In card games like Magic: The Gathering if you get a bad first hand you can call "mulligan", reshuffle, and draw a new hand with one less card. I'd like to see something similar implemented in battle dex.

I am imagining receiving all new packs, but losing 2 deck slots (going from 12 to 10) each time you mulligan. This obviously would only apply to sealed games.

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on such an implementation and/or better ways to make players not just mulligan over and over again if you don't like the 2 less card slot idea.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Mulligan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:47 am 

Hm, i like this idea ^^ I'd probably almost never do it myself (unless I just had absolutely nothin at all), but if it adds more versatility and player choice to the game, I think it would be a great addition!
I've actually been thinking a lot about how to add more to the game. My friends and I have been playing League of Legends every day all summer, and I've noticed a ton of stuff that they do well. One of those is the fact that, while there's only 3 game modes -- 5v5, 3v3, and dominion (and I only play 5v5) -- and one map for each mode, the fact that there's 102 champions that are all EXTREMELY different from each other, and that another one comes out every 2-4 weeks, gives an endless amount of replayability to the game and makes it never get old. While the game at its core is simple and has very little development, I never get tired of it. If I get tired of a CHAMPION, I can just switch to one of the others I enjoy!

I've been trying to think of ways to add stuff like this in BattleDex. Anything we come up with, and this idea, will have to wait until we finish adding playability features, the big bug update, and overhaul the menu system (fix it before improving it), but I would like to see a lot of additions to the game on top of what's already there currently.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:28 pm 

I like the initial concept of a mulligan. I think losing deck slots seems awkward though, and this would be an added programming complexity when there is already so much to do. Obviously, though, you cannot simply allow a person to mulligan over and over until they get a perfect / near-perfect card selection.

I agree that a mulligan should be a complete mulligan (i.e. completely new draw of cards). Currently in sealed you get one draw and are forced to live with it. So I think the best solution is to simply add a single mulligan option. If your cards are so terrible then you can roll the dice one time with a whole new set of cards. This will mean that your chances of getting a completely cruddy draw in a sealed match is lower. Unless you get average cards, opt to mulligan, and get worse cards, and then you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Let's remember that in sealed tourney's you keep your cards the whole way through. Whether this is good or bad is debatable, but let's apply the mulligan thinking one step further. Would you only have the option of taking a mulligan in the first round you play, and then you are forced to use the same cards from the first game the rest of the way?

Sealed is a tricky beast. I don't think my win-loss record in sealed is determined all that much by my hand in a vacuum. Sometimes I will have such a stinker that there is not much I can do with it. But a lot depends on the relationship between my cards and the map: can I find a useful strategy to employ on the map with my hand. Then, after the strategy is determined, the biggest factor on winning and losing is the relationship between the strategy I have employed against the strategy my opponent has employed. I have lost with many good hands because my opponent has the kryptonite, so to speak.

Sealed is what it is. You try to pick a good strategy and hope your opponent doesn't have the necessary combination to break it apart. But I think that adding the ability for one redraw would be a good addition to sealed - without being penalized for it. If you get really bad luck twice in a row, you just might not be meant to win that game/tourney.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 pm 

great points doja. I do think it would add more unnecessary complexity than it would be worth just because sealed is such a big part of BattleDex. However something with a similar idea but less of an impact may work!

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]