OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: So... how many cards in the first couple of turns?
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:16 am 
Contributor
Contributor

In this thread about sealed decks, jojo shares what IMHO is a pearl of wisdom for us rookies:

Quote:
a good deck in general uses about 6 to 8 cards in the first turn. think about that a little while picking cards.

This came as a big surprise: I usually use no more than 3, maybe 4 cards in the first turn (I tend to relie heavily on mass discount units, like Enlist 4 Infantry) and maybe a speed buff or two in the second turn, and that´s it... I run out of cash. I generally keep several buffs/debuffs/heals for later on, when things get heated up and my cash flows again, buy i never ever play more than half my deck in the first couple of turns.

Seems like I have it all backwards, and that a pumped-up army from the get-go is the way to go, and not a horde of normal units. Hummm...

Thoughts?

(Edit: sp)

Last edited by Kerghans on Wed May 05, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: So... how many cards in the first couple of turns?
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:32 am 
Recruiter + Testing Team
Recruiter + Testing Team

I would say you should play about 4-6 cards in the first round so you have some nasty cards up your sleeve (like Airlift or Minor/Major Artillery) ;) In the first round you should play some Enlists and Speed Buffs. On the maps where you have more money you should save some money so you can react better to certain situation (for example air rush or things like that)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:07 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
I would say you should play about 4-6 cards in the first round

Yup... that was more or less what I was thinking (and closer to 4), that´s why I was surprised by jojo´s remark.

BTW: do you find Major Artillery useful? I can certainly see its uses in some situations, but it kinda feels like you need a lot of gold to spare.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:22 pm 
Recruiter + Testing Team
Recruiter + Testing Team

Kerghans wrote:

Yup... that was more or less what I was thinking (and closer to 4), that´s why I was surprised by jojo´s remark.

BTW: do you find Major Artillery useful? I can certainly see its uses in some situations, but it kinda feels like you need a lot of gold to spare.

ye i dont like the major artillery myself because always if i have the gold i want to use it for something else ;)
but in some situation its really useful and it only was an example ;) there are many other cards the opponent wont expect ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:53 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Not really. You can build a deck all for Mid-game. Mabye using a few mercs and cheap enlist cards on the first turn.

I disagree, Jojo. ;)

EDIT: For example, using merc units to cap a near-base resource, an Enlist 2 Inf and 2 Recon.

Simple, cheap, efficient.

EDIT REDUX: I would have never beat Solid in the Sealed Qualifier if not for quite a few late-game cards. Double food for thought. ;)

1v1 Sealed Tournament Win

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:38 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Not really. You can build a deck all for Mid-game. Mabye using a few mercs and cheap enlist cards on the first turn.

I don´t quite follow your train of thoughts here, mate. I mean, a few mercs (guess 2 or 3?) plus cheap enlist cards (another 2 or 3?) means you are playing between 4 and 6 cards your first turn. Not as high as jojo´s opening hand, but still quite a few cards...

Anyway... enlightened discusion most appreciated, keep it comin´! :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:07 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I normally send 1-2 merc infantries depending on the number of resources. No speed boosts. I would have saved some money by recruiting rather than making regular units. Then create a few regular units depending on the cards I have and the map I'm on.

1v1 Sealed Tournament Win

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:52 pm 

the beauty about this game is that there is no right or wrong way to play it, you just have to find the strategies that you enjoy and execute well.

in my main deck i use about 4-6 cards in the first turn or two depending on the map and it usually works well for me.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:05 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

I use only 2 in first turn, that is maybe why I always lose to jojo :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

breathoffire2 wrote:
the beauty about this game is that there is no right or wrong way to play it, you just have to find the strategies that you enjoy and execute well.

I can sign that! :)

And still, it´s quite helpful for us beginners to have a frame of reference. And while it seems quite obvious from the replies here that there´s no consensus among the Top Dogs on an optimal quantity (from fewar´s 2 to jojo´s 8!), it seems that:

Breath wrote:
in my main deck i use about 4-6 cards in the first turn or two depending on the map and it usually works well for me.

looks like a useful rule of thumb for designing a deck.

BTW:

Stumblebee wrote:
I normally send 1-2 merc infantries depending on the number of resources.

Humm... interesting. But isn´t it a waste of money to deploy merc units so early in the game (since there´s a fair chance that they will *poof* out of turns before having a chance to fight)?

If you want to save the cash and you are willing to use a card space, wouldn´t it be better to use a discount Enlist Infantry instead of a merc? (they cost only 15 gp more, and stay until dead)

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next