OR REGISTER
Register    FAQ    Search

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Developer Diary #5 E3
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:14 pm 
Battle Dex Team

A large part of the Battle Dex Team attended E3 this week in Los Angeles. There are a number of publishers/large game companies interested in Battle Dex. We met with publishers that wanted to purchase the rights for specific territories, invest in the company, and/or market the game. We are currently deciding what we would like to do.

E3 itself was pretty amazing. For those who do not know much about it, there are hundreds of booths displaying/previewing new games. It was neat to see the new Microsoft Kinect. Basically, it is a system that lets you move your entire body to play the game (Wii on steroids).

The larger booths also feature "booth babes." These are generally attractive women dressed in skimpy costumes sometimes depicting characters in the video game. Their purpose is the attract the 1,000s of video gamers (almost all guys) at the convention to their booths. It is definitely an interesting site.

Some of the larger booths are like little houses. Many even have 2 or 3 stories with bars and private meeting rooms in the booths.

After returning from our meetings at E3, we are working on finishing the updated UI/chat system and the single player/multi player campaigns. We are also adding new features and balancing changes on a regular basis.

We have intentionally not made any media pushes for the last 5 weeks. We feel that we have enough players to test the game now and we do not want to have too many "sharks" once the game goes live.

We will be making an extremely large media push right before release. Our hope is to attract 50,000 registered users. We think this is very possible, since we got over 5,000 registrations from one articler in Germany.

Please tell us what you want to see and what you want us to be doing differently. As I've hope you've seen, we listened to everything the community says and we try to incorporate anything that makes sense.

P.S. The card contest results are on an announcement on the front page.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Developer Diary #5 E3
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:45 pm 

e3 sounds freaking awesome xD I'm pumped for Kinect and Nintendo 3DS.

One thing i'd really like to see (not a big priority on the list) is a kick-ass mapmaker. As many have seen, i'm in complete and total AWE of the StarCraft 2 mapmaker. It's for an RTS game, but yet you can do just about ANYTHING with it. Here's a few examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNPrnY4 ... _embedded#
You can even put in models from 3ds max. I'm making a DS game demo with it. (That's right Cooldown/Arbitor/Stumblebee. SOMNIUM LIVES!!)

But yeah. I know it's way different for a 2d game that's turnbased instead of 3d and real-time, but it's just the general idea that they took a STRICTLY-RTS game's mapmaker and made almost ANYTHING possible. I'd love to see fan-based campaigns. One thing i love about starcraft is that the fan-community does soooooo many unbelievable things to make the game that much better. It isn't JUST the devs

But anyways... UI update? Can't wait!! And as for media push, i'm afraid all i can do is post something at LSU, but if ya want me to, let me know

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:00 pm 
Battle Dex Team

We'd love the starcraft mapmaker. Unfortunately, their budget is a little bigger than ours. We will get to something like theirs eventually.

We have about 40 websites/bloggers lined up to cover the game and advertising on numerous sites. I think we will have a pretty good push.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:17 am 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

I bet their budget for editor is bigger than your for whole game :) .

What I think should be added:
1. Ranked games for all game types you have now.
2. Clans. There are not many of us now, but beta ends soon.
3. I wont comment ui, because I would play even if it was in command line :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:33 am 

chrism wrote:
We'd love the starcraft mapmaker. Unfortunately, their budget is a little bigger than ours. We will get to something like theirs eventually.

Bubbles wrote:
I know it's way different for a 2d game that's turnbased instead of 3d and real-time, but it's just the general idea that they took a STRICTLY-RTS game's mapmaker and made almost ANYTHING possible

:) not saying it has to be the sc2 mapmaker, just saying that they went above and beyond, and therefore impressed (and attracted) a ****-TON of people

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:04 pm 
Battle Dex Team

We will have ranked games for all game types as soon as the UI redo is done (within a week).

We will have clans, but can everyone please help us flush that out. What do you want to see with clans. Some ideas are:

1. an overall clan rating;
2. clan team games;
3. clan tournaments -- each round you would play another clan in a 1 v 1, 1 v 1 sealed, and 2 v 2 team. at the same time. Each clan would need 4 players. Whichever team wins 2 out of 3 wins the round and moves on in the tournament.

Does anyone have other ideas?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:03 pm 
Battle Dex Testing Team
Battle Dex Testing Team

Forums only for clan.

Some rewards for clan ranking. For example each week will first clan get one card they pick. ( temporary, for week only, each memeber can use it ). Or in sealed they can pick one of cards from theirs deck. (maybe too strong, so each player can do it only once)

For winning clan tourney they can get points and for that they can buy cards for whole clan. For one win only common, for 10 wins ultra rare. Clan will have limited slots for such cards and each member can use them.

EDIT: One more thing i said to ice in chat week ago (if he forgot that) : Statistics of win/loss per map.

And team games with constructed teams and cards.

2nd EDIT: Tourney can take 5 hours, and you have to be here all the time. Most of the poeple dont have such time. So there could be tourneys where you would have only one game per day.. Or there could be leagues. 10 players will join a league and play each other, one game per day.

Bubbles' note: took your 3 posts and combined them into one, since you commented that you couldnt edit or else you'd have done 1 post ^^

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:41 pm 
Battle Dex Team

I'd like the league idea with clans. That would be cool.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:41 pm 

fewar has a lot of great ideas for outward clan management :)

I'd like to propose some for INWARD clan management. Mainly, things i liked or would liked to have changed in World of Warcraft guilds.

1. Your own rankings' titles (show both the number of the ranking and what it's called)

2. HAVING OTHER PEOPLES' SIGNATURES REQUIRED TO START GUILDS. One thing i HATED about WoW guilds was that there were WAY too many. There needs to be (one or more) ways to prevent too many guilds. Charters are good for that, and also you could say maybe only the top 25 guilds don't get automatically disbanded? I don't really know, but i would like to see a community where every clan title (or almost every) is recognized

3. Multiple leaders. One thing that was annoying in WoW was that even if you made a rank for just 1 person and gave them access to EVERYTHING, there were still things they couldnt do because they didnt make the guild. There needs to be a way to allow other leads as well -- for example, if mlowe made a guild but wanted to co-rule it with breath

4. rights given for ranks. In WoW the leader of a guild can set rights for each individual ranking (chat for only certain ranks to see, invite/accept and kick out members, promote and demote members below their ranking, etc

5. Clan section of website: add another section under Community, which leads to a list of clans (defaultly listed by ranking, but also able to be searched alphabetically, etc). Each clan must have a clan page (requirement of creating the clan). This page is where the clan can display anything they want -- requirements to get in, a list of rankings, the rights of rankings, who is what ranking, etc. Info and advertisement. Also, once URL's can be chatted in-game it'd be cool to go BattleDexGame.com/GuildName
Editing the guild page can also be a right given to ranks

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:58 pm 

great ideas everybody, i would love to see all of that stuff :)
UI update will be brining a lot of changes afais and thats gonna be rolling everything around, so lets see what we want after that update?

OfflineProfile  
Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next